• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Tomato Bread

My friend has made this, and her family enjoys it, i havent tried it yet, so I'll let you;s decide ;)

Tomato Bread

Ingredients
2 cups tomato juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon each basil, oregano
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup grated cheese
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110F to 115F)
7 cup all-purpose flour

Preparation
Scald tomato juice and oil. Add sugar, salt, herbs, ketchup and cheese, and let mixture cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast on warm water and stir to dissolve. Add tomato mixture and three cups of flour to yeast. Beat by hand or with an electric mixer at medium speed for two minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally until smooth.

Gradually mix in enough remaining flour to make soft dough that leaves the side of the bowl. Turn onto lightly floured board and knead for eight to 10 minutes, or until dough is elastic and smooth. Place in lightly oiled bowl; turn dough over so top is oiled.

Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled - one to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place in two greased, 9"x5"x3" loaf pans. Cover and let rise again until almost doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake in hot oven (375oF) about 25 minutes or until done.

Makes 2 loaves

Replace the ketchup with your favorite hot sauce, and it's a chilihead recipe ;)

I love making fresh bread.....

I use a similar recipe but instead of using all the added ingredients to get the tomato and herb flavours, I use a 150 - 200ml bottle of smooth tomato and herb pesto.....It really is the bomb....

I use a good quality pesto and add some fresh top quality cheese....I add I 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon as well...

Your recipe sounds very nice as well......

moyboy said:
I love making fresh bread.....

I use a similar recipe but instead of using all the added ingredients to get the tomato and herb flavours, I use a 150 - 200ml bottle of smooth tomato and herb pesto.....It really is the bomb....

I use a good quality pesto and add some fresh top quality cheese....I add I 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon as well...

Your recipe sounds very nice as well......

Why did you have to go and mention pesto? My poor basil plants are dead for the winter....That's just mean moyboy!

I'm too cheap to buy basil in the store, and most of the decent pesto around here seems a bit too pricey for me. Oh well, I guess i can wait a few months :(

Txclosetgrower said:
Why did you have to go and mention pesto? My poor basil plants are dead for the winter....That's just mean moyboy!

I'm too cheap to buy basil in the store, and most of the decent pesto around here seems a bit too pricey for me. Oh well, I guess i can wait a few months :(

Sorry mate.....So i guess it doesn't help when I tell you that I have got 4 different types of basil growing at the moment and going wild.....:)

And the dried stuff from the shops isn't all that good to put in bread, as it stays a bit hard and cruchy....

I've never really found a good way to get dried herbs rehydrated for use in cold (or dry cooked) food....Its ok to use in liquidy food that is cooked at hig temps but it isn't all that good in bread and the like.....

Why not instead of large loaves of bread.....make hot dog buns out of it...I'll have to try that!!!

Ciao TCG-

You do know that you can freeze pesto in dollar store tupperwares right? I've also put it in ice cube trays, popped them out the next day into freezer ziplocs, and that works pretty well, too. I still have several tubs of pesto from last summer in the freezer and we eat a lot of basil.

Something you might think about for this year. A Genovese basil clump will yield several batches of pesto, easy.

Back