• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Wing Sauce from Scratch

CaJohn is hosting the Columbus North Market show on Feb 21st, and one of the things he is having at the show is a wing sauce contest. I do not know squat about making a wing sauce other than pouring some out of a bottle. I am looking for a recipe to make a basic wing sauce. I will totally retool the recipe to my liking, but the measurement part of it is what I need. I know DefCon has perfected it with cream, but I do not want to go this way. If I am going to try something I want to make it unique. So if anyone has one, please let me know. Thanks.

AlabamaJack said:
no clue Buddah since I just use the Creators stuff....but I will definitely be interested in the responses to this thread...

I bet. You certainly have enough peppers to work with. Have you played around with some sauces?

i use a spread made from soybeans (my girl's a lactard) and in a perfect world use one of the concentrates i've been making thanks to this forum. i used them at a recent party to rave reviews. just chiles and "butter", salt and pepper. Done. It doesn't get any more basic than that. pureed chiles, butter, salt pepper. Whatever. :)

AlabamaJack said:
only made one that is a plout based sauce and called it Plum Hot...it was pretty good...

I will be playing around with mixtures this spring before harvest starts...

I remember you mentioning that. I want to see someone play around with the Trinidad Scorpion by itself because it has such great flavor before the heat hits hard.

fineexampl said:
i use a spread made from soybeans (my girl's a lactard) and in a perfect world use one of the concentrates i've been making thanks to this forum. i used them at a recent party to rave reviews. just chiles and "butter", salt and pepper. Done. It doesn't get any more basic than that. pureed chiles, butter, salt pepper. Whatever. :)

I still need measurements because I have to jar it for the contest.

AlabamaJack said:
only made one that is a plout based sauce and called it Plum Hot...it was pretty good...

I will be playing around with mixtures this spring before harvest starts...
Doh! Bent has a Plum Hot too I believe.

Buddah said:
I still need measurements because I have to jar it for the contest.
Just mess around with it. Good ingredients, not too much vinegar, test pH, taste, adjust, test pH, bottle and hot water bathe.

thehotpepper.com said:
Did you figure this out Buddah?

Not at all. I got some ingredients I am going to play around with Sunday or Monday and see what I end up with. If it tastes like ass, I will use the garbage disposal as my reviewer. If I like it, I will jar it up and bring it with me the show next Saturday.

Keep in mind wing sauces should be somewhat think so they can cling to the wings, and creamy, if you want traditional, since a restaurant made sauce is made by mixing hot sauce with butter.

thehotpepper.com said:
Keep in mind wing sauces should be somewhat think so they can cling to the wings, and creamy, if you want traditional, since a restaurant made sauce is made by mixing hot sauce with butter.

Understood. I won't be conventional in my approach. The thing I wanted more than anything is a measurement of vinegar to the whole thang. I can't find a single wing recipe on the net, just hot sauce. So I will play around a bit and see what happens, but the ingredients I have planned are unique. I will say what they are afterwards whether I use it or not. No cream or butter though. Maybe clumpy cottage cheese instead. :P

Bhudda give anything a go.
heres one straight off the top of my head.
Never tested.

200 gm Habanero
100 gm cayenne or similiar.
2 tbs salt
5 tbs honey
1 tsp cummin
1 tbs fresh cilantro
5 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbs Ginger crushed
1 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup AC Vinigar.
I'm you make that I bet it will win.....
lol
probably not but I bet its different from the rest.
cheers

Mick

Back