• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Passow's Peppers(Pics)

Well, here's some 14 pics(four pics at a time...darn post limits...grrr)(be patient for load times) of a sampling of some of my peppers this year. Enjoy!

pepper1.jpg

Bunch of Unknown Peppers with a Purira in the bottom left.

pepper2.jpg

Ring-O-Fire Cayenne Chiles

pepper3.jpg

(left to right)Tepin, Purira, Tepin, and then more Puriras

pepper4.jpg

(left to right) purira, pequin, Hungarian Hot Wax

pepper7.jpg

(left t right) Tepin, Pequin

pepper5.jpg

Caribbean Red Hot with some Tepins to the right.

pepper8.jpg

American Staffordshire Terrier, then (from bottom to top) Unkown Red Pepper, Purira, Jalapeno Early, The Naga Morich is hidden, Rainbow, Habanero, Tepin.

pepper6.jpg

Tepin

pepper9.jpg

Bolivian Rainbow Chile(from last year)

pepper10.jpg

Small Caribbean Red Hot to the left, and either his big brother to the right or it's a yellow Hab.

pepper11.jpg

Jalapeno, Unknown, 3 Serrano,

pepper12.jpg

Jalapeno

Tina Brooks said:
nice. I wish I could grow peppers like that. :onfire:
"You to can grow peppers like Jonathan Passow! With my new course, 'Peppers for B lack Thumbs'! Just send $780(in one, easy to manage monthly payment) to me! Act now you you'll also get...new, 'Dentist in a Box!' and 'Learn to Speak Platypus: Volume 1'. "

DaveinCoalinga said:
California sun, there is no substitute.
Actually...a Hydrofarm 1000 watt grow light is a good substitute...I think those in the know, know what you can grow with that sort of wattage..... :onfire:

But, yes, Cali sun(especially Los Angeles) is an amazing thing. My tomato plants finally stopped producing in January(I believe) and my pepper plants stopped in November(I believe)...

That's a lot of damn pepper plants...looks like you use them for landscaping.:onfire:

What do you use in the containers? I have not had very good luck growing in pots although I do have one scotch bonnet that looks like it's going to do pretty well.

Also, with tomatoes here, they do pretty well until about mid to late summer then the plants just sort of quit producing with many leaves dying off ( I agressively trimming them this year) and the plants just seem to give up. part of the problem is that itr gets so hellishly hot here and when the temp gets up to over 90ยบ for more than a certian number of days they won't polinate, much less set fruit. Do you have any tips for keeping the plants going...short of moving to Cali? ;)

This yeear I plan to plant fall tomatos in late july or early august so I can have tomatoes this fall. Store-bought just aren't the same.

chuk hell said:
Also, with tomatoes here, they do pretty well until about mid to late summer then the plants just sort of quit producing with many leaves dying off ( I agressively trimming them this year) and the plants just seem to give up. part of the problem is that itr gets so hellishly hot here and when the temp gets up to over 90ยบ for more than a certian number of days they won't polinate, much less set fruit. Do you have any tips for keeping the plants going...short of moving to Cali? ;)

This yeear I plan to plant fall tomatos in late july or early august so I can have tomatoes this fall. Store-bought just aren't the same.

I have all sorts of problems with tomatoes here. If they haven't set by the end of June, July and August they won't. However, like you I trim them back hard, use the miracle grow grow and epsom salt and I will get tomatoes in the fall again. I am also trying to grow them under a lattice this year to cut the direct sun. I am trying it originally because my bell peppers get so sunburned, but it seems to be working with my tomatoes also, since it has been well over 100 for the last two weeks and I am still gettting tomatoes to set. I don't know if my luck will continue into July and August though. I will let you know how it turns out. I usually grow heirloom types of tomatoes that are a lot more picky than others so if it works, it might be worth a try.
Landscaping with peppers? WHoever thought of such sillyness? :)

chuk hell said:
What do you use in the containers?
The dirt I use is Sunland Organic Potting soil and ocassionally I mix in 20% sand. The real trick with pots like mine is water exaperation. If you over water in the lest, the plant may get root rot.

chuk hell said:
Do you have any tips for keeping the plants going...short of moving to Cali?

Don't top them, just let them grow wild. Have them start in a tomato cage and stack another cage on top, then build an A-Frame and tie the plants to that. Last year mine got over 12-15 feet...

They like water, a drip system does wonders.

That's one of the things I always wondered about. These plants are weeds where they are indigenous, why would one top them?

Drip systems, are recommended by Caricom.

T

Tina Brooks said:
That's one of the things I always wondered about. These plants are weeds where they are indigenous, why would one top them?
Most people top them because they get too large. If you top the plant, it forrces it to grow side shoots, making it bushy.

Ah... but doesn't topping them divert the sap needed to grow peppers?

(I'm such a novice when it comes to growing... can you tell)

Topping is usually done early to make a more bushy plant with more stems, with the idea that a bushy plant has more opprotunities to produce fruit. As it gets bushier, the increased leaves will support more fruit. If it already has fruit on it, then yes it will stress the plant and fruit will be smaller and more prone to sunburn. It also increases blossom end rot in tomatoes in my experience. I used to pinch out the tops of my peppers to make a bushier plant in Montana, since we only had a 100 day growing season, if you were lucky that year, and I wanted the bushy nice looking plant.

Here in California, there are only about 75 days where you can't grow outside, and with minimal protection peppers overwinter well. So therefore I like to just let them grow to see how big they will get. The plants will naturally spread out and get large. If the dang birds would stop eating my pequin every other month, it would be much larger than its current 4 foot hieght. I can't wait to see how these yellow and red mushrooms peppers will get with another year of growth. You would be amazed at how big a Tabasco gets grown in pure aged manure. Its already two feet tall and we are still in June.

I trim back my tomatoes in August because they look terrible, and they just become a dried up mess which means the black widows love to live in them. Definite problem where I live. So I trim them back, clean them up and give them a second shot when the temp goes down in the fall. Otherwise I don't trim them at all.

Tina Brooks said:
Ah... but doesn't topping them divert the sap needed to grow peppers?
I was actually refering to tomatoes, I would never top a pepper.

Tina Brooks said:
I want some California sunshine. :)

I'll send you some, but ever time I bottle sunshine, it goes stale really fast.

Back