Moi! from Finland

Just thought I would pop-in and say hello.

Finland is very lacking in hot sauces and chillies (something to do with dull, but subsequently healthy food and Finnish peoples lack for spice), so I've just started growing my own plants and making my own sauces.

I'd thought I contribute mu gold label recipe.

Gold Label
Makes about 1.5 - 2 litres of sweet sauce. It has a very sweet initial taste which gradually explodes into heat 5 to 7 seconds later with a crisp light aftertaste. Ideally used as a dipping sauce for crisps (chips) or a marinade for BBQ chicken. Keeps for 3-4 weeks and can be frozen,

1/2 cucumber
2 carrots
2 large white onions
3 large vine tomatoes
1 mango (substitute with 2 pears for an alternate flavour)
2 large bell peppers
12 Red Habaneros
2 long red chilies (any variety)
8 large cloves of garlic
4 teaspoons of English mustard powder
5 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
150 ml of apple cider vinegar
100 ml olive oil

- Blend the cucumber, onions, tomatoes, mango, bell peppers, habaneros, and garlic in a blender until liquid in consistency.
- In a large cooking pot add the vinegar, mustard powder and sugar.
- Heat up the mixture on the stove whilst constantly stirring so the sugar doesn't burn. When the sugar has melted add the mixture from the blender together with the oil to the pot on the stove.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and then lower the heat. Keep the mixture simmering for about 1-2 hours to thicken dependent on your preference. Stir every 5-10 mins so the bottom doesn't burn.
- When the mixture is taken off the heat allow to cool for 2 hours to avoid injury when pouring into a storage bottle.

PS, I find it hard to get seeds in Finland (I have to order online from the UK) so if anyone wants to do a seed swap you can find what I'm growing here.

Welcome to The Hot Pepper!

That's a pretty straight forward recipe, about how much does it make?

buggedcom said:
Makes about 1.5 - 2 litres of sweet sauce.

Yep straight forward, easy to do, creates hell of a stink.
It has a very sweet initial taste which gradually explodes into heat 5 to 7 seconds later.

buggedcom said:
Yep straight forward, easy to do, creates hell of a stink.
It has a very sweet initial taste which gradually explodes into heat 5 to 7 seconds later.

Oops, sorry. Read slower, get more caffine.

Thanks for the welcome's everyone. Billy I wasn't aware of that site, no. It looks good, thanks for the tip. I shall have to peruse further.

Here's a belated welcome from Ohio. Better late than never...

Awesome looking sauce, I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks...

Back