• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Capsicum Chinense?

I ordered some Rocoto seeds this year, and along with my order I recieved a packet of misc. seeds attached to a business card. I like a surprise so I started two of the mystery seeds. One I am quite sure is Rocoto (I think), but the other has me stumped. It won't be long before I have a pod to indentify, but it's killing me. I keep trying to identify it by its' blossom. I think that it might be Capsicum Chinense? But beyond that I'm stumed. Any guesses?
[/img]

I agree that the plant itself looks like a Hab. That is what has led me to believe that it is in the Chinense family. I have two orange Habs but they don't have the purple that this plant has. I did do a lot of research in several pepper databases. The problem is that I have only found a couple that have pictures of the flower. I haven't been able to find anything with a purple stigma. I could just wait until the pods develop......but that of course would take the fun out of it.

The purple leads me to believe that it is either a brown hab or one of the brown varieties... But I haven't the time to search Peterssons for your flower. That link has a pretty extensive list of plants.

T

Thanks for link Tina. I did some checking....and I was close, but the petal count was off. Maybe it's a result of an unexpected cross. Or a cross gone bad.

perhaps... do Pettersson a favour and send him your pictures. It's a dream of a database... (ensure you know what they are so he can class them right.)

T

Hey Sixstring,
A few questions, did you get those from Bayou Trader in Texas?
A signature of the Aji Queen to send a mixed pack with her card.
Beth is a great source of seeds and ships around the world.

No insults intended, but you know all pubescence seeds are black, right?
If I'm right about your source, I know Beth is a huge grower of baccatum(sp?)
I don't grow them or can ID their flowers, but you could check that species for ID.
Whatever the case may be it's all good in the chile plants, especialy when you get pods.

Marv

Fatalliman,

Yes, I did order my seeds from Bayou Trader. I was going to e-mail a picture to Beth for indentification......but first I thought that it might be fun to toss it around the forum. And it has been fun, I have posted on three forums and no one seems to be capable of identifying it yet. I do realize that the pubescence have black seeds.......I germinated 1 black and 1 tan seed just to see what I would get. The first appears thus far to be a Rocoto.....variety is unknown until further pod development. The second is the one that is pictured and in question.
I think that I did run through the Baccatum database at one point in time, But I will check again now that you mention it.

sixstring75 said:
I have posted on three forums and no one seems to be capable of identifying it yet.

I would also like to add that this is the most active forum that I have found thus far. The others are very slow and replies have been limited.:mouthonfire:

fatalliman said:
Hey Sixstring,

If I'm right about your source, I know Beth is a huge grower of baccatum(sp?)
I don't grow them or can ID their flowers, but you could check that species for ID.

Marv

Ah yes. I did check into Baccatum at one point in time. All of the flowers seem to have yellow in them in some way or another......no purple.
But it was worth a shot!! Thanks

I'm going to reserve my decision that it might not be a Chinense until after the pod grows out a little more...

Have you got more pictures of the flowers, Sixstring?

T

Back