• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Onions

Has anyone grown onions? I bought seeds for shi-ggles -- The ones I bought are for the Candy hybrid. I figured I use a lot onions and it would be good for salsa with the all the tomatoes and peppers Im growing I guess I should try Cilantro while I am at it as well :lol:

Here is what is said about them on the site:
An extremely early cross between a long-day and a short-day onion, producing jumbo bulbs full of mild, sweet, white flesh. Grows well in the North, South, East, West and Midwest! Small necked and a beautiful golden-brown color outside - inside, they have large, thick rings with mostly single centers. A good keeper when cured. (Sow in spring)

I am looking for pointers I have never grown something like this before. Do you get one bulb from one seed ? I will study more into it I just wanted some opinions

I was going to do red as well but I figured Id stick this one. Im thinkin' it cant be that difficult. I'll have to figure out when to harvest them as well.... If I learn anything I'll let ya know

When the leaves fall over is when you pull them up. I have at least five little sprouts coming up on my onions. I will have to get some pictures when I get home from class.

I have grown red and brown.....

They like to be well fed with general ferts......and ensure that you cull them down when they start to sprout. If they are too close they won't grow properly.....

I also found that when the bulb started to get bigger, I needed to put a little more soil over the top so the bulbs stayed well covered..

Cheers

Here are a couple little onions, put into soil on sunday morning, no pre-germ.

There are a total of five showing through the soil already.

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

onion seeds are fast to sprout!!
I'd rather just buy onion sets/bulbs for planting, much easier & still cheap & faster than seed IMO. go to menards/home depot/walmart/etc... you'll find onion sets/bulbs - dont waste your time with seeds IMO, unless you plan on throwing the seeds out in a remote spot for future onion bulbs.

as for the stalk falling over once ripe & ready to pick is true & not to a point (for those cold/freeze hardy onions).
you can pick onions anytime IMO, just size is different.

white onions tend to keep less time than yellows, here. (sitting out in the open - if you get a good crop)

onion bulbs above the soil is not an issue & no need to worrry about it!
I dont do this but some hearsay is that its ok to plant onion bulbs only halfway into the soil ? full grown onion bulbs that protrude above the soil is nothing to worry about, leave them be & dont cover them. (at least for here in these temps. maybe in oz. is different ?)

CH,

I'm with you. Everything I read is that growing from seed is going to require the patience of Job unless all you are looking for is those tiny bulbs.

Onion sets are about a dime a dozen - I can't see a good reason to try seeds.

Mike

Well now you tell me, thanks. We were just at the store one day and they were only 25 cents a pack so we got one.

Go with onion sets and they should be in the ground as soon as possible.
I have a hundred or so growing now in overwintered pepper plants.They are great raw and on the grill.I'm growing from Vidalia,Florida Sweet and Red.
I think they help keep down the excessive winter moisture in my pepper pots and may help keep away some insects.I plant them deep I think it makes for thicker green onions.The red scallions are what is used in authentic Jerk paste,unfortunately I can't seem to get the Scotch Bonnets to ripen this time of year so I have to used preserved bonnets.

chilehunter said:
onion bulbs above the soil is not an issue & no need to worrry about it!
I dont do this but some hearsay is that its ok to plant onion bulbs only halfway into the soil ? full grown onion bulbs that protrude above the soil is nothing to worry about, leave them be & dont cover them. (at least for here in these temps. maybe in oz. is different ?)

Fair enough......As you have stated, I only did this cause I was worried about sun burn on the hot days....I might just leave a row uncovered this season and see what happens....:)

Pepper plants are cheap too, but for some reason we all seem to grow from seed.;)

Variety is the spice of life, and Lowe's is great on price, low on variety.

I havent looked for any in my area but I think my Agaway will have them they have seed potatoes so I dont see why they wouldnt have onion sets

When you refer to onion 'sets' do you mean a group of pre sown seeds that have sprouted all together and ready to buy??

If so, I can get these. They come with about 15 - 20 onion sprouts in them. From memory, I can only get brown and red onions

lostmind said:
Up here in my area there are no onion sets out. Wonder when they start bringing them in...

dont know about canada, but around here they start bringing onion sets out around late march - april.

LUCKYDOG said:
I havent looked for any in my area but I think my Agaway will have them they have seed potatoes so I dont see why they wouldnt have onion sets

any place that sells seeds/plants will sell onions sets! if agway doesnt sell them then go to any walmart,home depot, menards,etc... they'll have them.

moyboy said:
When you refer to onion 'sets' do you mean a group of pre sown seeds that have sprouted all together and ready to buy??

If so, I can get these. They come with about 15 - 20 onion sprouts in them. From memory, I can only get brown and red onions

I dont know what you mean buy brown onion ? I only know of the white,red,yellow onions.

what I refer to onion sets/bulbs are onions that have been grown for a length of time to about the size of one of your finger tips from the 1st knuckle on. they're put into a dormant state (though you could most likely eat them still) then you place those onion bulbs into the ground & let them grow bigger.

they're not all clumped together, they're separate onion bulbs w/o any of that top foliage.

I got some sets from Burpee that I planted...the package came from south Texas...just got them two weeks ago...when I ordered, Burpee said they would mail the sets in time to plant for my USDA zone...sure enough, they came about 10 days ago and I put them in the soil last Monday...they are doing fine...

I went to Homus Depos Friday and they had plenty of onion sets out on display...I think the further north you go, the later in the season the sets will be available (unless you order specifically from a southern supplier)

Back