• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Liquid Napalm

Manufacturer: Cajun Heat

Ingredients: If you knew, you wouldn’t eat it! (Habanero peppers, Vinegar, Cajun spices)

This review has been a LONG time coming – somewhere in the range of 6 months! Around the time I started reviewing for thehotpepper.com I was basically overwhelmed with samples immediately. I guess people had been waiting for reviews to start up again for a while. Anyway, I tried to be fair with how I divided my attention – but that meant some people had to wait extra-long; and some companies who sent multiple products got one product review, and had to wait on the next. Cajun Heat was one of these. I do apologize this review is so tardy.

Apologies aside, this is the only sauce I’ve had to hide from work-mates. Its flavor seems to enhance every food I’ve had it on. Like its step-brother, Voodoo Ash, Napalm has a very strong Cajun/bayou influence. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the spices used in Voodoo Ash were identical to those in Napalm. And that isn’t a complaint at all!

Cajun Heat comfortably fits in the “universal” hot sauce category. It’s hot, the peppers and vinegar are palpable, and there aren’t any other alternative flavors to challenge the “general purposity” of it. That’s right, I just won at English! Brawndo anyone? Nevermind.

I don’t know what kind of spices are in here – it smells slightly sweet, like Italian herbs, in a strange way. But the flavor is 100% Awesome, very Cajun influenced, so I'm betting it's made from the dried ectoplasm of Lisa Bonet’s ghost, which is 95% voodoo goddess, 83% sex appeal and 5% onion powder. That’s where the smart money is, anyway.

It took me a while, but I’ve finally killed the bottle. I can’t even recall all the foods I’ve tried it on over these past months. For my last meal, I had it on a simple chicken breast sandwich. Chicken is a pretty neutral meat; I prefer to do my reviews after having sauces on chicken breasts. They’re moderately light, but have a bit of flavor, so mild sauces won’t be overpowered (as they could be with a burger), and strong sauces can really shine. This sauce falls squarely into the latter category. Nothing about this sauce; from the art on the label, depicting a soldiers intestines exploding; to the ingredient list; to the consistency, smell and flavor is even remotely mild.

As I said earlier, I actually had to hide this sauce at work, because it was being used at an alarming rate. That should speak volumes – most of the people eating it were not self-professed pepper-heads at all, they just wanted some kick in their lunches. Meanwhile, it’s definitely hot enough to provide me (a self-professed pepper-head) with a very satisfying burn.

Liquid Napalm took 1st place in the 2009 Scovie Awards for Hot Sauce – Unique, and 2nd place for Hot Sauce – Louisiana Style. It also took 2nd place in the 2008 The Hot Pepper Awards for Habanero Hot Sauce. Well deserved, in my opinion.

Flavor: 9.5/10. This is just an amazing sauce. Everything was done right, balanced right, the application is universal, and I couldn’t be happier. The only thing that I might like to see is less vinegar, but I know that isn’t often possible with these sauces. The flavors are so bold that the vinegar is FAR from overpowering, but still, the less the better.

Heat, from Nada to Naga: 5.5/10. A solid burn that never gets too hot. Definitely satisfying, for pepper-heads and sane people alike.

Overall: 9.5/10. As a universal sauce, Liquid Napalm kicks butt. You could pair this with virtually any food combination, and it would work. For me, this is the Tabasco replacement – there’s no reason to use that stuff ever again.

Attachments

• 12341047957651426190410.jpg
    12341047957651426190410.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 432
  • Liquid Napalm 50.jpg
    Liquid Napalm 50.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 307
klyth,

Thank you, another great review!

In your review, you mentioned the similarities in the spices between Voodoo Ash and Liquid Napalm, wondering if the two were one in the same. Well, they are!

Voodoo Ash was a mistake in my quest to make the perfect Cajun hot sauce. In the beginning, I used Voodoo Ash, which was nothing more then a jar of Cajun spice I had mixed together. This left my sauce was incredibly SALTY! Being new to the game, it never dawned on my to consider the salt used to ferment the peppers. Therefore, my simple solution was to eliminate the salt from my Cajun spice. This decision left me with over 5lbs of Cajun spice and no immediate use. Even for a true Cajun, 5 lbs would last a while. I purchased a few 1oz spice bottles and went to work. I placed all of these bottles at work with a FREE sign above it. All the samples were gone within hours and within a couple of weeks people were asking for more.

At first, I was resistant to the idea of manufacturing a dry spice. After all, I wanted them to buy my hot sauce. Well, the greedy mother-f*&^%&* won, and viola...Voodoo Ash was created!

Very rarely is a meal prepared in my home that does not contain one, or the other, or even both (Voodoo Ash/Liquid Napalm). I use Liquid Napalm as a hot sauce, but my g/f uses it as an ingredient or base in her cooking.

Thanks again for the awesome review!

Back