• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Hab Jelly?

I'm looking for a recipe that has Habs in it and is easy to make but takes a while to make.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 cub habanero chili's, minced.
2 cups Vaseline Petoleum Jelly.
Stir veeerrrry slowly.

(sorry..somebody had to be the first one to be a wisenheimmer on this post)

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
1 cub habanero chili's, minced.
2 cups Vaseline Petoleum Jelly.
Stir veeerrrry slowly.

(sorry..somebody had to be the first one to be a wisenheimmer on this post)

Cheers, TB.
Funny bro.

Anyone one else?

I was thinking.

Brown suger "mmmmm"
2 Habs, Minced.
3 Red bell pepper Minced.
1.A Dash Punkin spice
A table spoon spoon of JD.

Then find a jelly recipe that I can make easily.

What do you guys and gals think?

1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped habs
5 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 (6 fluid ounce) container liquid pectin

Remove stems, veins and most of the seeds of the bell and habs(if desired for the habs). Mince peppers in a food processor.
In a 5-quart pot over high heat, combine bell peppers, habs, sugar and vinegar. Bring to a rolling boil; boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
Stirring constantly, add the pectin and let mixture continue to cool for 2 minutes more. Now stir for 1 minute.
Pour into hot, sterilized jars and top with sterilized lids. Secure lids with bands and allow jars to cool slowly, creating a vacuum seal.

PREP TIME 20 Min
COOK TIME 10 Min
READY IN 30 Min
yields 6 jelly jars

BamsBBQ said:
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped habs
5 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 (6 fluid ounce) container liquid pectin

Remove stems, veins and most of the seeds of the bell and habs(if desired for the habs). Mince peppers in a food processor.
In a 5-quart pot over high heat, combine bell peppers, habs, sugar and vinegar. Bring to a rolling boil; boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
Stirring constantly, add the pectin and let mixture continue to cool for 2 minutes more. Now stir for 1 minute.
Pour into hot, sterilized jars and top with sterilized lids. Secure lids with bands and allow jars to cool slowly, creating a vacuum seal.

PREP TIME 20 Min
COOK TIME 10 Min
READY IN 30 Min
yields 6 jelly jars
Thank you very much Bam!

I made some this past fall and used the recipe on the back of the Ball Liquid Fruit Pectin package. It turned out great. The recipe is for jalapenos, but I just substituted orange habs for the japs.

12 0z habaneros stemmed and seeded
2 cups apple cider vinegar (divided)
6 cups sugar
2 pouched liquid pectin

makes 5 8 oz jars

If you buy the pectin, there is a complete step by step process in the package...

AlabamaJack said:
I made some this past fall and used the recipe on the back of the Ball Liquid Fruit Pectin package. It turned out great. The recipe is for jalapenos, but I just substituted orange habs for the japs.

12 0z habaneros stemmed and seeded
2 cups apple cider vinegar (divided)
6 cups sugar
2 pouched liquid pectin

makes 5 8 oz jars

If you buy the pectin, there is a complete step by step process in the package...
Really Alabama?

yup....one bit of advice tho...make sure you use EXACT measurements...the first batch, I just guestimated and it turned out syrup...

Here is the one I use. I substitute Habs for the Jalapenos (adjust as needed for heat I doubled the Habs for a real hot jelly as well) I get pretty darn good results with it!!!! I found it somewhere on the net and I'have made it 3 times so far....

• 4 lbs of tart apples (e.g. Granny Smith), unpeeled, chopped into big pieces, including the cores

• 6 jalapeño chili peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, the seeds and ribs removed from 3 of them (for mildly hot jelly. If you want a hotter jelly leave the seeds and ribs in all of them.)

• 1 bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, chopped

• 1 cup cranberries (can be frozen)

• 3 cups water

• 3 cups white vinegar

• 3 1/2 cups sugar (7/8 cup for each cup of juice)

1 Combine the apple pieces, apple cores (needed for their pectin content), jalapenos, bell pepper, cranberries, water and vinegar in a large pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low, simmering for about 20 minutes, or until the apples, cranberries, and peppers are soft. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan where it might burn. Use a potato masher to mash up the apple pieces to the consistency of slightly runny apple sauce. If the mash is too thick, add more water.

2 Spoon the mash into a fine mesh sieve, muslin cloth, or a couple layers of cheesecloth, suspended over a large bowl. Leave to strain for several hours (even overnight). If you want a clear jelly, do not squeeze or force through the mesh. Just let it drip. If you want a fuller flavor jelly and don't mind that the result won't be clear, you can force some of the pulp through the mesh. If your pulp is too thick, and nothing is coming out, you can add an extra 1/2 cup or cup of water to it. You want to end up with about 4 cups of juice.

3 Measure the juice, then pour into a large, wide, thick-bottomed pot. Add the sugar (7/8 a cup for each cup of juice). Heat gently, stirring to make sure the sugar gets dissolved and doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.

4 Bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, using a spoon to skim off the surface scum. Continue to boil until a candy thermometer shows that the temperature has reached 220-222°F (8-10°F above the boiling point at your altitude). Additional time needed for cooking can be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or longer, depending on the amount of water, sugar, and pectin in the mix.

5 Pour jelly into sterilized jars* to within 1/4" from the top and seal.
Makes approx. 4 half-pint jars.

Serve with cream cheese on crackers.

AlabamaJack said:
yup....one bit of advice tho...make sure you use EXACT measurements...the first batch, I just guestimated and it turned out syrup...
Thanks AJ, I will follow the recipe to a tee the first time around!

Dyce51 said:
Here is the one I use. I substitute Habs for the Jalapenos (adjust as needed for heat I doubled the Habs for a real hot jelly as well) I get pretty darn good results with it!!!! I found it somewhere on the net and I'have made it 3 times so far....

• 4 lbs of tart apples (e.g. Granny Smith), unpeeled, chopped into big pieces, including the cores

• 6 jalapeño chili peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, the seeds and ribs removed from 3 of them (for mildly hot jelly. If you want a hotter jelly leave the seeds and ribs in all of them.)

• 1 bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, chopped

• 1 cup cranberries (can be frozen)

• 3 cups water

• 3 cups white vinegar

• 3 1/2 cups sugar (7/8 cup for each cup of juice)

1 Combine the apple pieces, apple cores (needed for their pectin content), jalapenos, bell pepper, cranberries, water and vinegar in a large pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low, simmering for about 20 minutes, or until the apples, cranberries, and peppers are soft. Stir occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan where it might burn. Use a potato masher to mash up the apple pieces to the consistency of slightly runny apple sauce. If the mash is too thick, add more water.

2 Spoon the mash into a fine mesh sieve, muslin cloth, or a couple layers of cheesecloth, suspended over a large bowl. Leave to strain for several hours (even overnight). If you want a clear jelly, do not squeeze or force through the mesh. Just let it drip. If you want a fuller flavor jelly and don't mind that the result won't be clear, you can force some of the pulp through the mesh. If your pulp is too thick, and nothing is coming out, you can add an extra 1/2 cup or cup of water to it. You want to end up with about 4 cups of juice.

3 Measure the juice, then pour into a large, wide, thick-bottomed pot. Add the sugar (7/8 a cup for each cup of juice). Heat gently, stirring to make sure the sugar gets dissolved and doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.

4 Bring to a boil. Cook for 10-15 minutes, using a spoon to skim off the surface scum. Continue to boil until a candy thermometer shows that the temperature has reached 220-222°F (8-10°F above the boiling point at your altitude). Additional time needed for cooking can be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or longer, depending on the amount of water, sugar, and pectin in the mix.

5 Pour jelly into sterilized jars* to within 1/4" from the top and seal.
Makes approx. 4 half-pint jars.

Serve with cream cheese on crackers.
Thank you very much Dyce, All these great recipes and I will try each recipe first AJ,s though

AlabamaJack said:
I'm gonna have to try Dyces' recipe...that sounds delicious...

Bon Apetite!

It tastes great!!!! Unfortunatley I cannot take credit for it...I found it somewhere on the web....not too sure where though...

Ciao Derek-

I posted this on another forum so it was very easy. This recipe is originally intended for jalapenos, but any pepper would work. You could just put habaneros in for the entire volume instead of the bells, or you could substitute something even hotter if you want. It's up to you. I also have a recipe for Habanero Gold Jelly, which is oddly, quite popular up here in Canada. It's made with habanero peppers and dried apricots in a suspension. Let me know if you'd like that one as well.

Jalapeno-Raspberry Jelly

1/2 cup green bell pepper in 1/4" dice
1/4 cup jalapenos in 1/4" dice
1 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
3 cups sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3 oz liquid pectin

Place both peppers, raspberries, sugar, and vinegar into a 2 qt saucepan. Bring to a boil. Strain mixture through a jelly bag or a colander lined with cheesecloth into another saucepan of similar size to remove pepper pieces and raspberry pulp. This should take 5-10 minutes to drain. Bring juice to a rolling boil. Stir in liquid pectin, quickly adding entire pouch all at once. Bring back to a rolling boil and time for exactly one minute. Pour liquid into sterilized jars to 1/2" from rim. Wipe jars with damp paper towel, place lids, and tighten rings. Process 10 minutes in a hot water canner. Allow to cool 24 hours before storing in a cool, dry place.

Makes approx. 6 1/2 125 ml jars.

Not a jelly, but made this recipe last year with surplus orange habs. Delicious doesn't even describe it. Great on fish, chicken, pork, or even toast. I added a star anise, black pepper, and upped the habs to taste. Even did a wild blackberry version which rocked.

Also, as is traditional in chutney making, I cooked until reduced, and then let sit overnight covered. Continue cooking and reducing another 10 minutes the next day, give a spin in the blender until smooth, and pressure canned the whole lot. Made 4 pints of the stuff total.

Thanks Sorellina, that sounds incredibly and i love raspberries. BTW, since receiving my gifted pressure canner last night, I have been printing your recipes to try out. They all sound so delicious.

Ciao all-

It's a good thing I didn't go ahead and post the Habanero Gold Jelly recipe. Habman beat me to it. He's posted it in the Sauces section.

Well I made another batch of jelly, this time using Sorellina's recipe and substituting Orange Habs for Jalapeños. This time it actually gelled like jelly is suppose to. I can't wait to try it with lunch today.

DSCF3093.jpg

I'm thinking of trying the first batch, the one that turned into syrup on pancakes tomorrow for breakfast. I my have accidentally made a new syrup for pancakes and waffles...We'll see.

Back