• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Another flower thread

My first sowing or Pink Angels Trumpets didn't turn out very well. Only ten of 42 seeds germinated. I probably need to shoulder a lot of the blame for this - unlike most seeds that "sow them in the dirt and they will grow" the Brugsmania are extremely difficult. They need to be soaked for 24 hours, then stuck in a moist paper towel in a warm area with some light and even then it can take up to 120 days to germinate. And I thought the Bhuts were picky. Naturally, I found all this out after sowing three packages.

I did have some "luck" in that ten of them came up within a week. But even after a month, no more have.

After writing to Randel at rareseeds.com and letting him know the problems, he not only pointed out how hard it is to get them up, he sent me a package of Pink Trumpets, another of Red ones and a package of Daturas - a similar type of plant albeit smaller, with flowers that point up rather than down but also ones that are much easier to germinate.

Contrast this to how Reamers reacted: the reason my seeds did not germinate is because I was eventually going to put them in a hydro unit! I wish all companies were as good to their customers as Randel is.

I have all the seeds soaking in warm water and will put them in paper towels tomorrow evening.

Mike

Ah, I was hoping your would have better luck. I didn't when I tried growing Brugsmania. The germination time was literally months on some of them. I had set aside the seed tray, and in the middle of summer, I suddenly had several sprout.

Pam,

I will rise from the ashes and have a lot more seeds germinate. It's your doing, if you recall. I posted a message in AJ's flower thread that he needed an Angels Trumpet. You had to point out that pink doesn't go with his scheme (I might as well be color blind) which led to most of seeds not sprouting. So of course, I had to write to the guy who sold me the seeds and he, being a really nice guy, sent me some replacement seeds. And because of this mystical power you seem to have, some of them were Red Trumpets, which means I'll have great success germinating them and feel compelled to send AJ a seedling (a red one, of course, so it goes with his garden).

It's hard to believe but I'm actually getting into growing flowers and figuring out how to plant them so they look good in Linda's garden. Actually, it's scary!

Mike

these are gorgeous flowers, and the plants get *huge* so just be careful with any pruning you do cuz they are highly toxic and will very easily absorb into your skin.

wordwiz said:
It's hard to believe but I'm actually getting into growing flowers and figuring out how to plant them so they look good in Linda's garden. Actually, it's scary!

Mike

*sets the hook*

*starts to reel Mike in*

Flowers can be just as much fun as peppers, only you look at most of them, you don't eat them.

Pam said:
Flowers can be just as much fun as peppers, only you look at most of them, you don't eat them.

Or you smoke them. Gosh I love flowers. Especially dried flowers.

These flowers are going to be every bit as much of a challenge as any pepper I've known. But the reward if they turn out to be what is claimed. Four-eight feet tall plants, with lots of lateral growth, beautiful long blooms during most of the summer, a fragrant but noticeable smell of an evening. Plus, I can cut them back, bring them in and overwinter them.

I wish I could draw a picture of my vision of the fountain and the plants that surround it.

Mike

Txclosetgrower said:
Or you smoke them. Gosh I love flowers. Especially dried flowers.

Only, we're not planting any of those.

Ah, ah, ah...that's not...you know...it's a Texas Star Hibiscus. *And* it's for the hummingbirds, not you.

wordwiz said:
These flowers are going to be every bit as much of a challenge as any pepper I've known. But the reward if they turn out to be what is claimed. Four-eight feet tall plants, with lots of lateral growth, beautiful long blooms during most of the summer, a fragrant but noticeable smell of an evening. Plus, I can cut them back, bring them in and overwinter them.

I wish I could draw a picture of my vision of the fountain and the plants that surround it.

Mike

If you're after other evening bloomers, particularly those with scent,consider moon flower or 4 o'clocks. The scent of the 4 o'clocks is divine, but they are invasive. I'm not sure, but they might not be perennial up your way like they are here. Still, the scent is just wonderful.

Pam said:
Only, we're not planting any of those.

Ah, ah, ah...that's not...you know...it's a Texas Star Hibiscus. *And* it's for the hummingbirds, not you.

Pam,

Is it also known as a Kenaf Hibiscus? I'm got 16 of those plants growing now.

Mike

Hey, I grow Angel's Trumpet too... if you were able to get a few good plants going, and when they start sending off branches, let them grow up to 6" and then cut them off, and put it in a jar of water for a few weeks until you see white buds form on the stem, and then you can plant those stems. When I pruned my monster down (it was 5' tall), I pruned it down to 1'. There is a split growth of 2 stems on it, but I am leaving it on as it will produce me a bigger plant for this year. With all of the branches I cut, I managed to get 15 healthy cuttings off of them, and all are growing. I just got them potted up today so they will take off.

I will send pictures of the mother plant when it's growing, and FYI, it's growing in a 15"x2' pot. I wont put this plant in the ground as I store it in the greenhouse in the winter. They do not even tolerate freezing.

Gnildir,

I plan on potting mine - do I need one that big? I will bury it in the ground during the growing season, then bring it inside when cold weather approaches. My plan was to use five-gallon containers, though.

My seedlings are only 4" tall or so but I have close to 12 weeks to let them grow before setting them outside. I really look forward to seeing them this summer.

Mike

the ones that I have growing at the nursery are growing in 15 gallon pots. You can keep them in small pots, but you will be watering them more.. The mother plant grew up to 4' tall. This year, I'm expecting it to get as tall as 8'. So you want to have a good sized pot to keep this plant upright.

Back