• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

HELP!!! I don't know what to grow!!!

Ok, I've grown practically every type of vegi or fruit and now I find my self wanting to do something completely different this season. I'm doing hops, trying to grow the world's largest pumpkin, probably potatoes.....but after that I'm stuck, nothing crazy and cool is poping out at me. Tomatoes (I'll probably do Super Suix), basil? But basil's so....last year. I want to find some Salvia divinorum and plant that for a challange, I don't want to do any more gourds and I'm so sick of eating beans.

So, anyone got any ideas? I'm not planting a tree btw and no berries.

I've grown salvia before, you need a very humid warm environment. Pretty cool plant, it will shed all its leaves and grow new, different sized leaves when moved from high humidity to low humidity and vice versa.

Large, droopy leaves in high humdity, dark green

Smaller, more erect, lighter green leaves in low humidity.

You'll have to mist it quite a bit if growing it outdoors.

http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=16097

Pomegranate?

Think of what hot sauce you want to make, and fill in the blanks.

Have you considered growing your own cumin or cilantro?

Are you only interested in culinary herbs or would you also be interested in medicinal herbs.

Hey, have you ever browsed J L Hudson? They have some very different and cool stuff.

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/

Might find something that piques your interest there.

I remember Ginger Lynn. She starred in a lot of films.

IGGY, follow Pam's lead - get seed catalogs and look through them. That's one reason I'm growing some flowers, along with some not-common veggies. I don't want a garden like every other Tom, Dick and Harry on the street has.

Mike

One thing I'm planning on growing next season is Dragon Fruit.

It's grows like a creeper but doesn't get to big and is something out of the norm....

I'd like to grow kiwis. I believe they grow on a vine and are dioecious so you'd need a male and female. Don't have room yet.

I also can't wait to grow various kinds of melons. Damn I need to look into getting a roommate and renting a damn house.

Iggy,

Just saw it on TV, on the Food Channel. Crickets and Grasshoppers. Once your grow them to maturity, you can fix them almost as many ways as you can eggplant, they go great with chili peppers and AFAIK, no one else in this forum is growing them.

If you do, I think you should grow them organically - don't use pesticides on them. And unlike other things you might grow, these things will actually talk with you of an evening!

Mike

Ummm, mushrooms? I know what you are thinking, not those type! Proper ones that you can eat and find the experiance yummy and not phsycodelic.

There are thousands of varieties as you know.

There's a lot of funky looking eggplants and tomatoes you can try too. Do you have room for a grape vine?(oops, I guess they are berries)

Novacastrian said:
Aint coffee a tree?

The variety I got grows to about 6ft but takes 6 years to reach maturity. I was gonna have it as a house plant but it would grow outside in a better climate.

Pam said:
Have you considered growing your own cumin or cilantro?
Done both before. Like I said, I've grown practically every veggie and herb, decent amout of flowers too.

Pam said:
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/

Might find something that piques your interest there.
I'll check that out at work today, thanks for the link.

thehotpepper.com said:
Hmmm...there's an idea.

wordwiz said:
IGGY, follow Pam's lead - get seed catalogs and look through them.
Ya, I "catalog fondle" as she says.
wordwiz said:
Iggy,

Just saw it on TV, on the Food Channel. Crickets and Grasshoppers. Once your grow them to maturity, you can fix them almost as many ways as you can eggplant, they go great with chili peppers and AFAIK
Interesting, but I don't feel like cultivating that kind of food.

wordwiz said:
And unlike other things you might grow, these things will actually talk with you of an evening!
Who's to say that my plants don't talk to me....

Novacastrian said:
Ummm, mushrooms? I know what you are thinking, not those type! Proper ones that you can eat and find the experiance yummy and not phsycodelic.

There are thousands of varieties as you know.
Grown them before.

POTAWIE said:
There's a lot of funky looking eggplants and tomatoes you can try too. Do you have room for a grape vine?(oops, I guess they are berries)
Can't do grape b/c my parents said that they attract too many bees in this area and it gets to be a problem. I can't stand eggplant so that's out of the question and I'm still looking around for a really unique tomato plant.
twang20 said:
What about Coffee, Im trying to grow Kona Arabica from Hawaii this year.
From what I understand, I don't have the climate for coffee.
AlabamaJack said:
Flowers...gazillion flowers out there Iggy...and you mom might like them too...
GASP! I will not grow such things, I only grow what I can eat/smoke (I know there are edible flowers, but still, you get my point) ;)

Back