• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

herbs

anyone grow fresh herbs like basil or such? I have thought about it, but don't know where to start. Should I just grow inside? outside? just buy one of the herb gardens from like home depot?

Most herbs are really easy to grow. Just stick ones that have similar watering requirements in a pot together. I've grown basil, rosemary, lavender, thyme, stevia, catnip, oregano, spearmint, mint, lemon balm, and a few others. None were difficult to grow at all.

I buy them already started at local nurseries or lowes/home depot. I suggest you give it a shot, nothing beats having a crapload of fresh basil and making pesto!

Well, what do you like?

Personally, I think home grown basil is like home grown tomatoes, it can't be matched by anything store bought. I always grow some Italian large leaf types, and lemon basil has naturalized itself in my yard. I don't bother with the sweet basil, once you're gone Italian, you'll never go back.

I also grow some cilantro and dill in the spring as it doesn't like the summer heat so much. I have 6 or 7 rosemary bushes around the yard, several kinds of mint, Italian oregano, thyme, fennel, parsley, and I have some Mexican oregano that I over-winter in the house. Most of the fennel and parsley goes to the black swallowtails, but that's ok, I love finding those green stripey caterpillars on the plants!

I was thinking about growing some Stevia this year to play with ways to cook for diabetics, but I'm probably going to buy a couple of plants rather then grow them from seed.

Pam said:
I was thinking about growing some Stevia this year to play with ways to cook for diabetics, but I'm probably going to buy a couple of plants rather then grow them from seed.

Definitely get them as plants, the stevioside content varies greatly from seed to seed. They are easy to clone as the cuttings root readily.

Also, pinch them back often. They have a tall skinny growth habit with few branches if left to their own devices.

I use powdered stevia as a secret ingredient in chicken dry rubs.....

I enjoyed eating the leaves fresh off the plant, its truly a unique experience.

Boy, you have got to watch your spacing. I read the title and was trying to figure out who's bs you were talking about. Then I realised you ment "herbs" not "her bs". :lol:

Although it's morning and I'm not quite up yet....

Iggy,

I did the same thing. I though his wife/GF was having a problem with some plants he was growing.

I have five Genovese and five Thai Queen basil plants in a hydro unit now and who knows how many seeds of each that germinated a couple days ago. Last year, I gave a restaurant close to a pound of basil (just leaves, not stems) but this year I will sell it. At $20/lb. I'm hoping to sell two-three pounds per week once the plants get to a decent size. In one row I should easily have 50-60 plants.

Mike

imaguitargod said:
Boy, you have got to watch your spacing. I read the title and was trying to figure out who's bs you were talking about. Then I realised you ment "herbs" not "her bs". :lol:

Although it's morning and I'm not quite up yet....

LOL -

I noticed the mistake after I hit post. Can't edit the title so it is what it is.

I think I'll look into the depot or lowes and see what they have.

I think i'll have to go with basil for sure if Pam says it's like toms - store bought is nothing like home grown. I can't stand the toms in the store at this time of year - they are flavorless - ok on burgers, but just plain yuk!!

Txclosetgrower said:
Definitely get them as plants, the stevioside content varies greatly from seed to seed. They are easy to clone as the cuttings root readily.

Also, pinch them back often. They have a tall skinny growth habit with few branches if left to their own devices.

Ok, that's good to know. I may have to pick your brains for cooking tips, too, once I get it up and growing well.

I've grown stevia for many years, usually from purchased cutting. Its very sweet but also has its own taste when fresh that can take a while to get used to, and it often can't replace sugar in baking and preserving.

I usually grow basil(both italian and Thai), oregano(Italian and Mexican), cilantro, chives(onion and garlic), and parsley. This year I'm thinking of trying fennel, although I haven't researched growing it at all and don't know how the wild Italian version I have will do in my climate(off to google)

POTAWIE said:
the wild Italian version I have

Damn you, Potawie! You can't just drop a tantalizing tidbit like that in the tail end of a post and not elaborate to a bunch of seriously compulsive seed collectors like us!

C'mon, dish! Wild Italian fennel?

They were sent to me in a trade from Italy when I posted on another forum that I wanted to grow fennel seeds for Italian sausages. I don't know much more about them.....yet:)

Have you grown rosemary from seed before? It's really tough. I root mine off established plants by air layering or sticking a green stem in dirt.

I have grown oregano from seed, but it's ever so much easier to pull a stem with a bit of root and stick in a pot. I usually stick some around the base of peppers in containers in the spring. By fall I have a healthy, bushy oregano plant to put where ever I like.

Pam said:
Have you grown rosemary from seed before? It's really tough. I root mine off established plants by air layering or sticking a green stem in dirt.

I have grown oregano from seed, but it's ever so much easier to pull a stem with a bit of root and stick in a pot. I usually stick some around the base of peppers in containers in the spring. By fall I have a healthy, bushy oregano plant to put where ever I like.

This was my first year trying it and I have had no problems as of yet. It is up and growing. The oregano is doing fine as well but it is so delicate and tiny. I will be relieved once it gets a little bigger.

Pam said:

Pam, are you a Diabetic?

Dale

We grew all our herbs from seed, and they really just do their own thing.

Cilantro was the only herb we could NOT get to grow. It would always die at around 2 inches tall.

Basil is insanely easy to grow, and home-grown basil is fantastic.

Fresh herbs rock. From Ky or south, seed is OK.

Any farther north, and the season is not long enough.

ALL savory herbs need full sun, or as much as you can get.

Fresh Basil on everything.;)

Txclosetgrower said:
Most herbs are really easy to grow. Just stick ones that have similar watering requirements in a pot together. I've grown basil, rosemary, lavender, thyme, stevia, catnip, oregano, spearmint, mint, lemon balm, and a few others. None were difficult to grow at all.

I buy them already started at local nurseries or lowes/home depot. I suggest you give it a shot, nothing beats having a crapload of fresh basil and making pesto!
the highlighted above are absolutely essential along with parsley. try a greek oregano, lemon thyme, and as many basil types as you can find. Other good ones to add might be sage, though i found it troublesome in the past (could have been bad stock). Dill is a must both for green and seeds.

peter pepper said:
anyone grow fresh herbs like basil or such? I have thought about it, but don't know where to start. Should I just grow inside? outside? just buy one of the herb gardens from like home depot?
You can grow inside and outside. They aren't hard to grow at all. Rosemary needs it's own container IMO.

Pam said:
Well, what do you like?

Personally, I think home grown basil is like home grown tomatoes, it can't be matched by anything store bought. I always grow some Italian large leaf types, and lemon basil has naturalized itself in my yard. I don't bother with the sweet basil, once you're gone Italian, you'll never go back.

I also grow some cilantro and dill in the spring as it doesn't like the summer heat so much. I have 6 or 7 rosemary bushes around the yard, several kinds of mint, Italian oregano, thyme, fennel, parsley, and I have some Mexican oregano that I over-winter in the house. Most of the fennel and parsley goes to the black swallowtails, but that's ok, I love finding those green stripey caterpillars on the plants!

I hate those caterpillars! they just destroy parsley!

Txclosetgrower said:

Stevia is wonderful. Seed growth is a PITA, so find cuttings or seedlings. It's incredibly easy to grow. Pinch it back CONSTANTLY and it gets mad big. My plants at harvest were about 6ft tall. It dries fast, keeps well, and has so many uses in the kitchen. It's overkill as a dry rub, but boosts the sweet factor as a component of a rub. I use it in my cooking regularly. Especially as a sugar free sweetener in my ESB hot sauce.

Pam said:

This is the simplest method. It works with thyme as well as all creeping herbs.

Back