• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Real Mexican Food?

Hey gang, I'm getting tired of these places saying they're authentic real Mexican dinner, fast food joint, yada, yada, yada.

So far I haven't seen any real Mexican joints. And Alton brown's saying that the tortilla shell is an Americanized food and it's not real Mexican.

So what should I do falling short of going to Texas and or Mexico?

Tortillas are Meso-American, which is the central area of the Americas. Tortillas are not American in the sense that you mean (USA).

Find a Mexican place actually owned by Mexicans. They usually aren't too commercial. I have a couple around me that you could drive right by if you weren't really looking for them.

Any place called a Taqueria could be good. Try one.

thehotpepper.com said:
Tortillas are Meso-American, which is the central area of the Americas. Tortillas are not American in the sense that you mean (USA).
Yes that's what I mean, but what did Alton Brown mean if they're Americanized?

JayT said:
Find a Mexican place actually owned by Mexicans. They usually aren't too commercial. I have a couple around me that you could drive right by if you weren't really looking for them.
Hmmm I may have to go to pa once again and go to a few of those places.

Well it loosely means "taco stand" so check it out.

When you find a place, put it in the Michigan section.

PhatManDerek said:
Hey gang, I'm getting tired of these places saying they're authentic real Mexican dinner, fast food joint, yada, yada, yada.

So far I haven't seen any real Mexican joints. And Alton brown's saying that the tortilla shell is an Americanized food and it's not real Mexican.

So what should I do falling short of going to Texas and or Mexico?

Sorry to burst your bubble here Derek but firstly...

Alton Brown doesn't know shit about food and cooking. He's a film and video guy who went to cooking school. Everything he knows about cooking came out of a book. His practical experience about anything to do with food is nyet. Granted I have seen his show many times and he is quite entertaining but real cooks don't cook anything like that cat. His "real" schtick is selling product i.e. viewers watching the ads on food network. That network is only a vehicle of shows designed not just to entertain but much more importantly..to sell.

Now as far as "real" Mexican. 99 percent of any so called real Mexican restaurants in America are more or less Americanized and often resemble little of real Mexico. Oh its still fun to go around to different joints and discover how close they can get. The real deal can often be found by the staff doing the prep and the dishwashers.

Rant over...that is all.

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Sorry to burst your bubble here Derek but firstly...

Alton Brown doesn't know shit about food and cooking. He's a film and video guy who went to cooking school. Everything he knows about cooking came out of a book. His practical experience about anything to do with food is nyet. Granted I have seen his show many times and he is quite entertaining but real cooks don't cook anything like that cat. His "real" schtick is selling product i.e. viewers watching the ads on food network. That network is only a vehicle of shows designed not just to entertain but much more importantly..to sell.

Now as far as "real" Mexican. 99 percent of any so called real Mexican restaurants in America are more or less Americanized and often resemble little of real Mexico. Oh its still fun to go around to different joints and discover how close they can get. The real deal can often be found by the staff doing the prep and the dishwashers.

Rant over...that is all.

Cheers, TB.
Hey TB I'm a big boy, man. You don't need to say burst your bubble or anything along those lines :)

Anyways I'm in a %100 percent agreement with you, We do have this one place that Almost a real Mexican joint and it's pretty dang good.

Take a trip to Mexico, come back, and compare the food. The closest I've found in comparison are the Mexican-owned taquerias, they pretty much serve the exact same food. And don't forget about regional cooking, there's a lot of Mayan influenced food in the Yucatan. Just like here is the US, regional cooking exists everywhere. I don't mind the Americanized Mexican food though. As long as it's good! I like lots of sauce and cheese.

thehotpepper.com said:
Take a trip to Mexico, come back, and compare the food. The closest I've found in comparison are the Mexican-owned taquerias, they pretty much serve the exact same food. And don't forget about regional cooking, there's a lot of Mayan influenced food in the Yucatan. Just like here is the US, regional cooking exists everywhere. I don't mind the Americanized Mexican food though. As long as it's good! I like lots of sauce and cheese.
I think I know what your talking about, and if I can go to Mexico during my college years I will do so.

This is my plan.

Take photography get about 8 credits.
Take Spanish so I can get around in Mexico
Take Baking and make a lot of Mexican breads and so on.

Year 1 will be photography

Mexican food is simple to make, but the ingredients and cooking implements are not readily available in Mich.

If you have chicanos around where you are, find out where they shop and shop there. Ask the chicanos where a good Mexican restaurant is.

You will lkearn Spanish in about 5 days if you go to Mexico: having to eat, sleep, poop and etc is plenty of motivation. You will likely learn Castillian Spanish in college and Mexicans think Castillian Spanish is fey........

Do not call yourself American in Mexico....all the Americas are not the USA. Mexico and all SA are Americans.

A good source of Mexican cooking stuff:

http://www.mexgrocer.com/

willard3 said:
Mexican food is simple to make, but the ingredients and cooking implements are not readily available in Mich.

If you have chicanos around where you are, find out where they shop and shop there. Ask the chicanos where a good Mexican restaurant is.

You will lkearn Spanish in about 5 days if you go to Mexico: having to eat, sleep, poop and etc is plenty of motivation. You will likely learn Castillian Spanish in college and Mexicans think Castillian Spanish is fey........

Do not call yourself American in Mexico....all the Americas are not the USA. Mexico and all SA are Americans.

A good source of Mexican cooking stuff:

http://www.mexgrocer.com/
Thank you for the link Willard, I know we have one Mexican shop here in Traverse City, It's very authenitc and it has a lot of flours & cheeses, chips, salsa and so on.

I get to go there to day on the city bus and check it out.

tex-mex is like fajitas...

to me there is nothing better than a good mom and pop mexican place where I can get fresh tomales and some good beef enchiladas...

Back