• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

desserts Habanero Ice Cream

Just to try something different, I'm planning to make a habanero ice cream next week. Can anyone give me a link to a recipe you have tried. I'll be using orange habaneros. Cheers.

what a great idea...i think i might do the same....might be lazy tho and grab some cream and soak some crushed oj habs for a couple of days, melt some ice cream add and freeze...its not the best idea but im feeling lazy lol!

Let me know how you go

Sounds amazing. Just use a basic ice cream recipe plus habs. That gives me an idea, on how to prepare the habs for the ice cream.

CaJohn makes the only clear hot sauce in existence that I know of specifically made for this purpose. It is called Frostbite. He used it to serve frozen marquitas at the first Weekend of Fire show. All you would have to do is add it to your ice cream flavor base before freezing it and you will get the heat without changing the color.

Linkage: http://cajohns.com/Hot-Sauces/Frostbite-White-Hot-Sauce.html

Since Ice Cream is something that is used to relieve the "burn" from peppers I wonder how that would work.....maybe a mild burn or a quick hot shot......hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SeeYouJimmy said:
Cheers buddah for the link. I might just puree some fruit and add the habanero. If it's no good i'll give the sauce a go.

Good luck with it, and keep us informed how it goes.

When grown men eat whole Nagas, they get VERY close. Not that Cold Sweat is made with Nagas - it isn't. But just saying...

Naga's make me want to do the jimmy legs when I eat them whole...

I like this in the hot summer.
pineapple,habanero,vanilla ice cream

3 or more habaneros deseeded chopped fine(you pick kind)
1-2 cups fresh chopped pineapple
1/2 gal vanille ice cream(soften enough to work with)
mix all together put back in freezer to set (1-2 hr)
use a cinnamon sugar coated tortilta chip for dipping no spoon

Dan

bowhunter said:
I like this in the hot summer.
pineapple,habanero,vanilla ice cream

Dan

Very very nice mr bow hunter! gonna do that one!:mouthonfire:

Heres one for you Jimmy?
just substitute the chilli for Habanero chilli

White chocolate & chilli ice-cream with tropical fruit;

300ml thin cream
1 cinnamon stick
4 egg yolks
85g caster sugar
100g white chocolate, finely chopped
2 small red chillies, seeds removed
2 small green chillies, seeds removed
1 small yellow chilli, seeds removed
300ml thick cream
1/4 cup (60ml) Malibu*
Fresh tropical fruit, to serve
Method
Heat the thin cream and cinnamon stick in a saucepan to scalding point. Set aside to infuse for 30 minutes. Beat the egg yolks and 50g sugar until pale, then add the chocolate. Remove the cinnamon stick from cream and discard. Reheat the cream until hot, then stir into the chocolate mixture until the chocolate melts. Return to pan and cook, stirring, over low heat until slightly thickened. Don't boil. Cool, then refrigerate until cold.
Finely chop a green and a red chilli. Whip the cream, then fold into chocolate mixture with the Malibu and chopped chillies. Pour the mixture into a shallow contained and freeze until frozen at edges. Remove from the freezer, beat with an electric beater, pour back into container and re-freeze. Repeat 2 or 3 times. (Alternatively use an ice-cream machine following manufacturer's directions.)
Cut the remaining chillies into very thin strips. Place the remaining sugar in a pan with 1/2 cup water and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the strips of chilli, cook for 5 minutes or until the chilli is sticky and caramelised, then cool. Garnish the ice-cream with the chilli and serve with fresh tropical fruit.

Thanks Jungle that sounds delicious. I've been waiting to get some ripe habaneros and i've finally got some big enough. Just found a recipe with mangoes and custard so i'll give that a go first. I need to refrigerate a hot mix for 12 hours before putting into ice cream maker so i'll save your recipe for the weekend. Can't hurt to have 2 chili ice creams to choose from... The mango one is a goer for tomorrow night though, need to freeze the machine 24 hours before use.
Cheers.

thx... GOTTA try that one!

klyth said:
When grown men eat whole Nagas, they get VERY close. Not that Cold Sweat is made with Nagas - it isn't. But just saying...

Naga's make me want to do the jimmy legs when I eat them whole...

I ate a whole Naga twice, both times drunk of course:lol:. Not going to lie I loooove them, they are my favorite pepper, and I use quite a bit in my food. However, yeah they kicked my ass fresh off the vine:lol:. Also, to this thread the Hab icecream sounds great. Chocolate and heat tend to go good together too. Maybe a chocolate hab icecream. Sounds kind of interesting;)

Back