• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Square Foot Gardening

LOL @ Pam...

Mike, I have seen this up close and personal...looks like it works to me...I doubt if I ever will try it...not enough room for me to move around and I want my plants to get a lot bigger than that would allow IMO...I could think about 3' square gardening though...

I'm planning to try it out in one little plot this year.

Read the book a few times. I think the concept isn't that the plants get so big and produce better, just that you are cramming more plants in less space and rotating them often.

I have to agree with AJ I planted my plants last year 2 foot apart and rows 2 foot apart and did not have room to walk between my plants. Lesson learned the hard way.

I don't think square foot gardening was really meant to apply to peppers or tomatoes... although the book says 1 pepper per 1 sq ft, but even my wimpy pepper plants outgrow that...

WW - well thanks to everyone else, I caught onto what the heck you were talking about.
since what you said is pretty vague! IMO if you never heard of something crazy like that.
do you put your whole garden in 1 sq. ft. ?
did you mean each plant gets 1 sq. ft. ?
sq. ft. is vague cuz it can also mean anywhere from 1 -you name it!
it would of helped if you just put 1 sq. ft. gardening for each plant.

depending on the plant I would not do 1 sq. ft. growing, unless it was beans, carrots, onions,etc... but chiles, tomatoes,etc... never!

Chili,

I've heard of it but not much more. I do tend to plant stuff as close as I can, my carrots and beets were in rows about eight inches apart. Enough room for me to walk through them. My Green Sausage toms will be no more than a foot apart and the same for the potatoes.

My other tomatoes I will plant at about 24" rows and 24" apart, but they will be staked (not caged). My garden is only 40' x 30' max, so I need to cram as many plants in as possible.

Mike

have you thought about your own little hanging garden ? this could increase your garden produce with limited space.
I plan on trying this out for some plants.

Chili,

Tried an upside down tomato plant last year - the heat and drought kept it from being productive. Even my potted peppers will be in the ground this year.

Depending on how many strawberry plants finally end up sprouting and growing (I'm only up to about 35 so far), I may stick some of them in a hanging basket on the side of the house.

Mike

I'm thinking of building up my garden in a stepped format. It is about 4 feet deep and 15 feet across. So I am thinking of having a one foot deep section from the front at ground level, then building a retaining wall up one foot for another foot or so deep and then going up 2 feet for the 3rd level, which would be about a foot or so deep as well. That way I can have all the plants getting equal sunlight. I do plant very close together and the worst thing is when the plants in front get taller or bushier and block the ones in back. Also might look attractive.

Back