• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Eggplant Varieties that Grow Well in Containers...

this is my first year also to grow Eggplant...I ordered some Black Beautys from Burpees and am going to try them...probably will put them in 7 gallon containers...

Pam said:
My Rosa Bianca did very well in containers last year.

I have had my eye on this variety. Supposedly has great flavor. It is good to know that they take well to containers. What size were you using?

AlabamaJack said:
this is my first year also to grow Eggplant...I ordered some Black Beautys from Burpees and am going to try them...probably will put them in 7 gallon containers...

The black beauty is the eggplant that I am most familiar with growing. It will be interesting to hear how well they do in containers.

PeteyPepper said:
I have had my eye on this variety. Supposedly has great flavor. It is good to know that they take well to containers. What size were you using?

Um, it was a cut down barrel, so it was wide, and had, um, maybe 4 or 5 gallons of dirt. I had three plants in it.

Pam said:
Which ones?

I see a lot that are listed as Italian, but none specifically as Sicilian.
What do you mean which ones?

I recommended Sicilian. They are great, especially for Italian dishes. They are readily available in NYC.

Attachments

• DSC_5225.JPG
    DSC_5225.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 76
thehotpepper.com said:
What do you mean which ones?

Well, a quick google brings up Sicilian eggplant recipes, but no specific variety called "Sicilian". I can't grow it if I don't know what it is, exactly.

I recommended Sicilian. They are great, especially for Italian dishes. They are readily available in NYC.

Well then, be a good little forum member and get us some seeds next time you buy one.

Pam, I speaketh as eggplant eater, not grower ;)
But they were reddish and round, with some vertical grooves, and white patches.

My experiences with eggplant have been they take as long as superhot peppers to ripen. I grew Long Purple last year and only harvested maybe eight of them (off eight plants) before the frost came.

Mike

The ones in the pic above look like birgah f1, but I don't think they are Sicilian.

Last year I grew "fairy tale hybrid", a large Italian type(name unknown), and "Machiaw Hybrid" all in containers.

wordwiz said:
My experiences with eggplant have been they take as long as superhot peppers to ripen. I grew Long Purple last year and only harvested maybe eight of them (off eight plants) before the frost came.

Mike

Mine produced all summer. Maybe you need to switch varieties.

I had a japanese eggplant in a small (2 gallon?) container last year and I got at least 10 6" long eggplants. I bet they'd have grown bigger but I kept eating them...

The plant was barely 2' tall too.

lostmind said:
I had a japanese eggplant in a small (2 gallon?) container last year and I got at least 10 6" long eggplants. I bet they'd have grown bigger but I kept eating them...

The plant was barely 2' tall too.

Well, they're better young and tender. Peppers you might want old and mean, but not your eggplants.

AmericanHwyFlower said:
Turkish Orange Eggplant... these are the best in a container!

I grew them last year, and while they were very productive and absolutely beautiful, the Rosa Bianca kicked hiney in the flavor department.

Ciao all-

Just about any eggplant does just fine in containers. Mind you, you'll need to stake them. Mine get up to 4 ft tall. You could use one of those el cheapo metal tomato cages. I use them for my determinate tomatoes which top out at that height.

My favourite varieties:

Rosa Bianca - for grilling and parmesiana
Casper - for baba ghanouj, caponata
Listada di Gandia - for fritti
Round Mauve - another choice for parmesiana

Others:

Diamond
Green Apple
Fairy Tale F1
Calliope
Thai White Ribbed

When hardening off and transplanting, be gentle. Eggplants are the wimps of the Solanaceae family. They don't like wind, they don't like overcast, they don't like extreme sun. You have to baby them at the beginning, but then they'll reward you if the season is warm and fairly dry.

Hey Petey,

Rosa Bianca is a good choice, I have lots of different "read that as unlabeled" seeds from eggplants that I am starting indoors early this year as they do require a long growing season. If you need some Eggplant seeds just let me know I am sure I have some extras.

Back