• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Do you rotate your plants?

I am noticing that my plants have all turned to face their light sources and I am wondering if there is any problem letting them sit in the same position since their leaves all seem to be sprouting in a single direction.

Do you all rotate your plants to prevent this or is it a non-issue?

PrairieChilihead said:

definitely not a "non-issue"

yes, I rotate my plants every 12 hours or so...and if the airflow is constant, I vary the plants position to allow equilized pressure to each plant...

AlabamaJack said:

yes, I rotate my plants every 12 hours or so...and if the airflow is constant, I vary the plants position to allow equilized pressure to each plant...

Every twelve hours? :shocked: I've left them all static long enough that I have noticed the leaves all growing towards the lights! Have I wrecked them? Or will it all be okay with time? They all seem healthy enough, anyway.

AlabamaJack said:

Where's the graph showing optimum growth vs air flow velocity?

Since I am growing by a window I rotate mine 180 every night for the next day. It keeps 'em from growing in 1 direction

Pam said:
Where's the graph showing optimum growth vs air flow velocity?

if you really wanna see one I can produce it...roflmao...

*wondering if she wants to see it in 3D***

this is killin' me... :lol:

Well, I've rotated them all 180 degrees and it looks like they all have their backs turned to the lights. I think I'll leave them this way until I notice that they're turning back again. Is that what you would do?

all plant will eventually turn to the light...all we are doing when rotating the plants is strengthening the stems in all axes they will see stress...

PrairieChilihead said:
I am noticing that my plants have all turned to face their light sources and I am wondering if there is any problem letting them sit in the same position since their leaves all seem to be sprouting in a single direction.

I use square containers, and i rotate them 90degrees everyday.

And switch their places, so the shortest is near the brightest and/or hottest spot, every few days.

If leaning a lot, it can be that theyre receiving inadequate light.

I have a bunch of toms that just sprouted as well as some azaleas. One variety of toms seems to be extremely leggy, even though they are about 8 inches from a 15,000 lumen bulb. I rotate them and the azaleas three or four times a day because I see a strong leaning from them. They should have some strong stems from growing back and forth! Strange, the other plants don't show such a tendency though.

Mike

Yep, I rotate my plants. Sometimes I'll drink too much and all I have to do is stare at them and it seems like they are rotating all by themselves :lol:

It all depends on your setup whether you need to rotate, I guess it would depend on where you have your plants in conjuction with the light source. I have never had a need to rotate any seedlings using my fluoro shop lights. Now i am not saying that they do not get rotated involuntarily when I pull them out to water because I don't pay any attention to the way they go back in. FWIW.

Dale

I have CFL bulbs shining down on trays of plants so some are directly beneath and others are further away. I have tried to put the smallest ones closest as lavish does but that means it's all the more obvious as the larger plants turn and lean.

Now that I've rotated them most of the plants are pretty well straight and I will begin rotating and even moving the plants around.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back