• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato plants dying

I have been transplanting tomato plants, 18 at a time for the last few days. The very first group is looking healthy. The rest are dying. It looks like something has eaten the heart out of them, but it may be the heart is just dead and is falling off.

My first thought was aphids or some other insect. I have found a very slight aphid problem but I check them twice a day. Have sprayed with both Safer Soap and pyrethrin spray every time I have seen any. But a check with a magnifying glass show no signs of any bugs, not even one.

I am using new Ferti-lome premium potting soil and fertilizing with Tomato-Tome fertilizer, adding one tablespoon per gallon of water and diluting than a bit. The plants are bottom watered. Out of 54 plants only about a dozen have not been affected.

Before the heart appeared dead, some of the leaves seemed to be turning brown and curling badly.

Any ideas?

Mike

When you say the heart, do you mean the growing tip?

Oh, and any pictures?

How often are you giving the Tomato Tone? I don't think it is meant to be used the way you're using it. I use it on larger plants as a dry fertilizer on the soil, once every two or three weeks. I'm wondering if the tomatoes are calcium deficient.

From Wikipedia: "Calcium deficiency symptoms appear initially as generally stunted plant growth, necrotic leaf margins on young leaves or curling of the leaves, and eventual death of terminal buds and root tips. Generally the new growth of the plant is affected first. The mature leaves may be affected if the problem persists."

Pam,

Yep, the growing tip.

Here's some images:

tom1.jpg

tom2.jpg

tom3.jpg

And the one I like the best:

tom4.jpg

The black spots on the stems is potting soil, not bugs!

Mike

Back