• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smokem if you got em!

Well it's about 6am and I just finished laying the coals for my turkey smoke today. It promises to be an outstanding day, plenty of sun, low humidity and plenty of beer on hand, a perfect day for smoking in other words :lol:
Today's turkey will be injected with a butter, chile, and Jack Daniels combination. I will also give the bird a good rub before it goes into the smoker and mop it with the Jack Juice once an hour. I'm only doing a 8lb breast today so a 12 hour smoke over apple wood should do it.
I will update later with some pics.

Have a good day everyone, I know I will!

Well yesterday's smoke was excellent! We had a nice breeze yesterday so the bird was done in 10 hours instead of 12 which was a good thing because everyone was ready to eat. Here are a few pics to drool over.

turkeysmoke1.jpg

turkeysmoke2.jpg

turkeysmoke3.jpg

turkeysmoke4.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone!

Man-O-Man does that look good!!!! Thanks for sharing it with us via pics. I bet it would taste great with some Cape Fear Red Savina to dip it in! Yumm Yumm!!!
I know, cheap plug, but it's the truth....

P_Schneider said:
Well the one I have can be had for less then $200. Well worth the investment.

Where did you buy it? I can't find a good smoker up here in Canada. I'm almost ready to pay the shipping fees and order one. I bought a cheap double-barrel type smoker to do some chipotles but there is no way a big bird would fit:(

Very cool pix that are interesting to me since my smoker is a horizonal Texas-style and not a vertical.

Thanks for posting those.....makes me hungry!

chuk hell said:
Very cool pix that are interesting to me since my smoker is a horizonal Texas-style and not a vertical.

Any pics of the horizontal?

P_Schneider what's in the foil, and where's the chiles. Corn looks good too.

POTAWIE said:
Any pics of the horizontal?

P_Schneider what's in the foil, and where's the chiles. Corn looks good too.

Got potatoes in the foil, the chiles were powdered and used in the basting and injection. Too early for fresh pods yet.

POTAWIE said:
Where did you buy it? I can't find a good smoker up here in Canada. I'm almost ready to pay the shipping fees and order one. I bought a cheap double-barrel type smoker to do some chipotles but there is no way a big bird would fit:(

We got our smoker from Cookshack. It does meat or veggies, but we'll only be using ours for the peppers.

T

Back