• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Drew's Grow Log

I mentioned in my Introduction thread that I'm growing a bunch from seed for the first time. The only success I've had from seed before were some Hungarian wax plants last year. But I also didn't really know what I was doing until now either. I'll post a few pictures in here once I get them into Photobucket, and will also be posting everything here in my blog, also called Texoma Heat.

I get a seed starting tray with 50 peat pots and a bag of Jiffy seed starting mix, all set on top of a 24"x12" heating pad. I put all the seeds in moist paper towels yesterday and let them soak overnight in Ziploc bags on the heating pad with a sweatshirt over it. One of my cats found it to be a nice place to sleep as well.

Here's what all has been planted:

10 jalapeno
5 bhut jolokia
3 cayenne
3 Hungarian wax
2 sweet banana
2 Zimbabwe bird
2 Thai extra hot
2 Peruvian white habanero
2 spicy mustard habanero
2 Tasmanian habanero
2 Caribbean red habanero
1 long slim red
1 Santa Fe grande
1 Hungarian black
1 fatalii
1 chocolate habanero

I started between 2 and 4 seeds per pot to try to conserve space and make sure something ends up growing in each. I'm setting my heating pad on the second of the three heat levels. It has an automatic 60 minute shut off on it though, which could pose a problem. Anyone with any advice here? Should I put it on the highest heat setting? The lowest? I might take it with me to my office for the week so I can turn it back on every hour.

I'm still waiting on a shipment of aji pineapple, chiltepin, and yellow rocoto seeds. I also have a packet of a random variety of seeds from Rainbow Chili Seeds that I'll be soaking and planting after these are ready to move to pots.

I have a very small grow light that it mounted on the wall with a 65R30/PL bulb in it. It's about all I have the space and money for right now. I'm hoping to change things and get a better setup next season.

Anyways, here's where it all begins for me, and here's to hoping for a successful growing season for everyone here. I'll have a few photos posted in the next few days. Maybe not here, but definitely on my blog, linked in the opening paragraph.

PeteyPepper said:
Be sure to post some pics!!!

:)

Sure thing! Here's two from today.

IMG_3033.jpg

Got everything planted and sprayed a little water over everything while outside. Was a pleasant 75 and sunny today.

IMG_3084.jpg

Yesterday I put the seeds in moist paper towels and in Ziploc bags, then put them on the heating pad with a sweatshirt over them. One of my cats, Carmela, was interested in the new sleeping place and aided in warming the seeds. After bringing the tray inside and putting it on the pad, she checked it out and gave her approval.

I have the same heating pad. I keep mine on the first setting and it heated the trays up to about 80, so keep an eye on it. BTW looking good.

I'm planning on making a small cage out of chicken wire to put around the tray once they sprout (I seriously almost bolted up in bed at 5 am screaming "EUREKA!" when I thought of it in my half-asleep, half-awake state). It will keep the cats out, but keep the light, air, and warmth coming in.

TexomaHeat said:
I seriously almost bolted up in bed at 5 am screaming "EUREKA!" when I thought of it in my half-asleep, half-awake state.

Happens to me all the time although usually when I'm trying to fall asleep. I come up with some crazy, crazy stuff like that.

TexomaHeat said:
I'm planning on making a small cage out of chicken wire to put around the tray once they sprout (I seriously almost bolted up in bed at 5 am screaming "EUREKA!" when I thought of it in my half-asleep, half-awake state). It will keep the cats out, but keep the light, air, and warmth coming in.

Yep. Works brilliantly :lol:

3044574607_27e952948f.jpg

RichardK said:
Make sure they never dry out completly! Not even for a short time!

Good luck!

I'm going by the advice from the slip I got with my seeds from PepperJoe.com, which says to water every two days. In other words, they're getting a spray-down when I get home from work today. There's some good condensation on the inside of the lid as well, which would seem to indicate they're staying moist.

I made an extremely ghetto chicken wire cage last night. I'll post a picture of it later.

It's been exactly a week, and the sprouts are starting to come out!

I just took a peek this morning, and 2 cayennes, 2 jalapenos, 3 sweet bananas, 2 Zimbabwe Birds, and 4 Thai Extra Hots are starting to show!

I was a tad worried at first, hoping I didn't overheat the seeds when I put them in the moist paper towels, worried the jalapenos might not grow with the method I used once I got the seeds out of the peppers, hoping I wasn't underwatering... Yeah, now I'm excited, lol.

I also picked up a couple plants this weekend: a serrano, a New Mexico Big Jim, a Navajo, and an Apache to go with the seeds and my Tabasco. No luck yet in finding a Fresno plant, but I may have salvaged some seeds from last year. I'm going to try them pretty soon.

Anyways, here's the photo of what got me nearly jumping up and down with glee.

IMG_3142.jpg

Left to right, cell 5B with a Zimbabwe Bird sprouting; cell 5C with three Thai Extra Hot sprouts; cell 5D with one Thai Extra Hot.

Also, while I'm at it, my super-ghetto chicken wire cat guard.
IMG_3137.jpg

Another question for anyone who can help: when should I remove the plastic dome from my grow tray? At the first sign of sprouts, or after the first true leaves, or when exactly?

TexomaHeat said:
Another question for anyone who can help: when should I remove the plastic dome from my grow tray? At the first sign of sprouts, or after the first true leaves, or when exactly?

I usually wait for about 70% + germination before I take mine off for good. It looks like yours has no holes in it though. I poke a couple of small holes (pencil size)in the sides and a few in the top for a little airflow. Also, after the 1st seeds germinate, I take mine off a couple of times a day for a few minutes. Soil will dry out much faster when it's off though so keep it moist with your mister when needed.

Thanks bigt. I put the dome back on yesterday morning, and woke up this morning with the tray having gone from 35 sprouts up to 56 (including a naga!). Think I'll keep it on a few more days and also poke a couple holes in it like you said you do.

Back