41 replies to this topic

#1 kylestl

kylestl

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:01 AM

Well I have been using miracle grow fert....ooops that is at 24% nitrogen. This seems probaly way to high. What kind of fert should i use or should i kepp using this like once a month i dunno.
Kyle

#2 lavish

lavish

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

Well I have been using miracle grow fert....ooops that is at 24% nitrogen. This seems probaly way to high. What kind of fert should i use or should i kepp using this like once a month i dunno.

chili focus på growth technology is great and the dosage is the easiest there is to follow
//lavish

#3 Nova

Nova

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 13,621 posts
  • aka:Fathead

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:48 AM

With my dorsets suffering a lot of flower drop i stumbled upon a great recipe. It seems to really encourage healthy growth, smells like death but works great.

5 Heaped tablespoons of Blood and Bone type fertilizer
3 " " of Potash
1 once of epsom salts
40 mls of Fish Emulsion
1 drop of Superthrive
30ml Seasol (sorry forgot)
Mix this with 1 1/2 Gallons of water and i use every fourth watering. It really does stink if left for more than a day though.

Edited by Novacastrian, 18 March 2009 - 05:31 AM.
Forgot the seasol

The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person doing it.

#4 caroltlw

caroltlw

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

Try the MG tomato or bloom booster fert for lower N and flowering support with the same ease of use.
And availability.

Edited by caroltlw, 17 March 2009 - 10:53 AM.
Afterthought

Plant them and you will find room later.

#5 ExtremeBurn

ExtremeBurn

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:50 AM

I use dynamite for flowers and vegetables. It has an ratio of 18-18-18. Great results! They also have an organic form.

#6 RichardK

RichardK

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

If they are young plants (< 3 months) it doesnt matter how much N they get, it's actually a good idea to give them lots of N during the early stages because they are not going to produce fruit anyway.

I alwayse start with more N, then as they get ready to fruit I switch over to Tomato food which is higher in the 0-X-X area.

I also give them some Bloom Booster when I want full fruit set which is like 15-30-15 and is like friggen steroids for Chilis!

#7 klorentz

klorentz

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

I normally use organic fertilizer. Espoma has some good ones. I also have used fish emulsion and earthworm castings. The results where very good.

Kevin

#8 PeteyPepper

PeteyPepper

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

Fox Farm Grow Big for the vegetative stage...

Makes you plants look like this:

Posted Image

lol; I do like it though. Seems to make them very green...it is rated 6-4-4 with trace elements and derived from organics such as earthworm castings and Norwegian kelp. I think that the kelp is partially responsible for the greening. Sorry for the walking advertisement but I really have had great results with this stuff. Just be careful to use it in moderation on seedlings and young plants...I use half of the mfgr.'s recommended dosage.

:cool:

#9 klorentz

klorentz

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

Wow that's a great looking pepper plant! And people say organic don't work.

Kevin

#10 Josh

Josh

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Fox Farm Grow Big for the vegetative stage...

Makes you plants look like this:

lol; I do like it though. Seems to make them very green...it is rated 6-4-4 with trace elements and derived from organics such as earthworm castings and Norwegian kelp. I think that the kelp is partially responsible for the greening. Sorry for the walking advertisement but I really have had great results with this stuff. Just be careful to use it in moderation on seedlings and young plants...I use half of the mfgr.'s recommended dosage.

;)

PP,
That is good to hear and see. I decided to give Fox Farm a try as well. Right now I am giving them Big Bloom. Friday they will get a shot of the Grow Big. Hopefully I will see results as good as yours.

#11 FiveStar

FiveStar

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:21 PM

These Fox Farm nutes you speak of are liquid I take it, and not granular? All I can find around here are the granular forms. Damn lack of nursery selection!

#12 Josh

Josh

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

These Fox Farm nutes you speak of are liquid I take it, and not granular? All I can find around here are the granular forms. Damn lack of nursery selection!

Yea they are liquid. Try a hydro store. That is where I got mine.

#13 FiveStar

FiveStar

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

Haven't tried one of those yet. In my neck of the woods, one must be careful about frequenting the hydro store. There are rumors of cameras and admonitions against not purchasing with credit/debit cards.

Lots of good Ganja is grown here in the NC mountains, and much of the supplies purchased at said Hydro shops.

However, I'm savy with the ATM and know hot to make it give me cash!

#14 Dyce51

Dyce51

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

Wow that's a great looking pepper plant! And people say organic don't work.

Kevin

Well I'm about to find out. This year my wife and I decided the entire gardem is going to be organic. Right now for my Peppers the soil is a mix of potting soil mixed with fresh worm castings. My daughter has started a large worm farm so my liquid fertilizer is going to be fresh brewed aireated worm tea.

#15 klorentz

klorentz

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:47 PM

Well I'm about to find out. This year my wife and I decided the entire gardem is going to be organic. Right now for my Peppers the soil is a mix of potting soil mixed with fresh worm castings. My daughter has started a large worm farm so my liquid fertilizer is going to be fresh brewed aireated worm tea.

An excellent start in organic gardening. I used earthworm castings and fish emulsion last year and the results where great. You should have some great peppers this year.

Kevin

#16 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:16 AM

I use Neptune's Harvest 2-4-1 on seedlings that have been potted on, so I know exactly what they are getting.
I use home grown worm castings, homemade fish emulsion, etc., as needed, on plants in the garden.

~DiggingDog

#17 klorentz

klorentz

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:29 AM

I use Neptune's Harvest 2-4-1 on seedlings that have been potted on, so I know exactly what they are getting.
I use home grown worm castings, homemade fish emulsion, etc., as needed, on plants in the garden.

~DiggingDog

Sounds good.Bet you get some great results with that.

Kevin

#18 Dyce51

Dyce51

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:36 AM

An excellent start in organic gardening. I used earthworm castings and fish emulsion last year and the results where great. You should have some great peppers this year.

Kevin

Thats what I'm hopeing for!! I'm in the process of putting together a brewer for the "worm tea" now.

~DiggingDog

All my plants are generally for my own use and consumption. Next year that will be different but this year is just for me..lol

#19 Scorpion

Scorpion

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

With my dorsets suffering a lot of flower drop i stumbled upon a great recipe. It seems to really encourage healthy growth, smells like death but works great.

5 Heaped tablespoons of Blood and Bone type fertilizer
3 " " of Potash
1 once of epsom salts
40 mls of Fish Emulsion
1 drop of Superthrive

Mix this with 1 1/2 Gallons of water and i use every fourth watering. It really does stink if left for more than a day though.

Spot on Nova this is a great recipe and one that I use very closely is really succesful as well.
Winner Hot Pepper Award:
1st and 2nd Bhut Jolokia Sauce and 3rd place Garlic Sauce
www.scorpionchilli.com.au

#20 Nova

Nova

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 13,621 posts
  • aka:Fathead

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:26 AM

:snooty: Great minds think alike! What do you do different?
The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person doing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users