• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Fried Hamburger?

I'm going to make a southern style brunch for my folks Saturday and I have a question about Hamburger and how to make it tast very good with out the heat?

"They are heat pansy's"

Anyways I want to brown up 1 pound of ground chuck and slice up bacon until the bacon is super small and super crunchy.

Will this make the burger taste better and should I add a little peprika?

If you're gonna make patties, I'd add a little Worchestershire (I can never spell that right), a bit of mustard, salt and pepper, basically anything else youve got that might taste good!

Burgers are a great canvas for flavor. Pretty much anything you can think of will taste great mixed into the meat before cooking.

Add bacon for sure. Bacon makes everything better. I also find a splash or tewlve of beer in a burger makes it extra juicy and tasty.

If you are going to use bacon, I highly recommend cooking the hamburger and bacon separately....use 90-10 if you can find it for a really lean burger with minimal shrinkage and use the bacon like you would lettuce, tomato, and onion...that' my perfect burger...only thing that would make it better is if it were buffalo...

Add whatever you want! There's many tips to a good burger. Use your cast iron. Don't pack the patties too tight. Don't flip the burger until it's ready (the beef could stick). Don't squish it with a spatula.

That was like a machine gun fire of tips :rofl:

FiveStar said:
If you're gonna make patties, I'd add a little Worchestershire (I can never spell that right), a bit of mustard, salt and pepper, basically anything else youve got that might taste good!

Burgers are a great canvas for flavor. Pretty much anything you can think of will taste great mixed into the meat before cooking.

Add bacon for sure. Bacon makes everything better. I also find a splash or tewlve of beer in a burger makes it extra juicy and tasty.
Thanks, It's a southern recipe, Your going to ground up the chuck and leave it in the ground up state then your going to add the mushrooms and heavy gravy.

AlabamaJack said:
If you are going to use bacon, I highly recommend cooking the hamburger and bacon separately....use 90-10 if you can find it for a really lean burger with minimal shrinkage and use the bacon like you would lettuce, tomato, and onion...that' my perfect burger...only thing that would make it better is if it were buffalo...
I had buffalo but didn't like it as much but ground up lamb is good!

thehotpepper.com said:
Add whatever you want! There's many tips to a good burger. Use your cast iron. Don't pack the patties too tight. Don't flip the burger until it's ready (the beef could stick). Don't squish it with a spatula.
Thank THP, but this will be ground up chuck and its not going to be made into patties.

PhatManDerek said:
Thank THP, but this will be ground up chuck and its not going to be made into patties.

Okay I'm out. PMD is cooking wacky again. :lol:

If it's not a patty then what is it going to be? You said hamburger. Did you mean ground beef? Are you making meatloaf?

PhatManDerek said:
Will this make the burger taste better and should I add a little peprika?
PhatManDerek said:
You never heard of this dish?
What, loose meat sandwich? I've heard of that, but you did say burger in your post.

PMD...most of the stuff you cook I have never heard of...and that's not a bad thing...gives me ideas...buuuuuttttt...I hate anything that has to do with a sheep!@!!

JayT said:
If it's not a patty then what is it going to be? You said hamburger. Did you mean ground beef? Are you making meatloaf?
And yes I did, Thanks Jay.

thehotpepper.com said:
What, loose meat sandwich, I've heard of that, but you did say burger in your post.
THP, can you change to ground beef?

I'm confused... Does this mean you're gonna cook the chuck like it was for hamburger helper or taco filling? So not in a patty.

Then add mushrooms and slather with gravy?

OK now I'm on the boat. Um, what else gets served with said ground beef and gravy? Sounds a little heavy for a brunch.

FiveStar said:
I'm confused... Does this mean you're gonna cook the chuck like it was for hamburger helper or taco filling? So not in a patty.

Then add mushrooms and slather with gravy?

OK now I'm on the boat. Um, what else gets served with said ground beef and gravy? Sounds a little heavy for a brunch.
Bingo bro, It's going to be ground beef, Fried green tomatoes, Cornbread, Probably store purchased desert.

My mom makes something called poor man's steak out of ground beef made into patties covered with mushroom soup and baked.

PhatManDerek said:
Bingo bro, It's going to be ground beef, Fried green tomatoes, Cornbread, Probably store purchased desert.

Well in that case I would add some bbq sauce to it.

Back