• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomatoes everywhere

I had some Italian and Sweet Bite cherry tomatoes growing through spring and summer. They all produced in prolific amounts and as with tomatoes some got attacked by pests.

A month or so ago I put in some new seedlings that have now set flower. When I was in the garden the other day I noticed heaps of small tomato plants growing out of my mulch.

All the tomatoes that got attacked by pests were picked and thrown on the ground and later dug into the soil. It has given me the unexpected bonus of 47 new tomato plants. I potted them up over the weekend so now to see if they all grow.

Don't know which variety they are yet so until they mature and produce it's a mystery.

Four years after I planted some cherry toms I am still getting a volunteer or two. One of them was as productive as any plant in my garden last year, giving me about 22 pounds of 'maters.

Mike

LordViykor said:
I had some Italian and Sweet Bite cherry tomatoes growing through spring and summer. They all produced in prolific amounts and as with tomatoes some got attacked by pests.

A month or so ago I put in some new seedlings that have now set flower. When I was in the garden the other day I noticed heaps of small tomato plants growing out of my mulch.

All the tomatoes that got attacked by pests were picked and thrown on the ground and later dug into the soil. It has given me the unexpected bonus of 47 new tomato plants. I potted them up over the weekend so now to see if they all grow.

Don't know which variety they are yet so until they mature and produce it's a mystery.

Man that brings back memories. At our old house in West Los Angeles ( when I was a kid ) we had volunteer cherry tomatoes every year. They where great and we did nothing to them. The plants where huge too.

Kevin

Back