• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Herbs?

I'm having a hard time trying to decide on the herbs I want to grow for my kitchen,

I know I want to grow cilantro at least!

But what herbs do you find in the kitchen and used the most?

Ciao Derek-

I'm absolutely stupid with house plants, so I don't even bother with trying to cultivate a windowsill garden out of season. Instead, I wait until I've got them outside and have no issues at all with dashing out in my pj's to grab some sage or thyme or basil for a breakfast omelette.

Herbs, apart from basil, are pretty tough to grow from seed. I've tried a few times in the past and failed miserably. I usually get cilantro, Italian parsley, and rosemary at the nursery in Spring because they're going to be annuals here anyway. The sage, thyme, savoury, lovage, borage, hyssop, and oregano all come back as perennials, even here in glacier country.

I got a rosemary plant last year that is still alive, even after spending the winter outdoors. Granted, it's a Texas winter, so I don't think temps ever dropped below 15 F or so. Planning on doing catnip, cilantro, basil, and perhaps a few others this year from a local nursery. I tried a bunch from seed last year and had no luck at all.

Also in regards to rosemary, You can get different types. I recommend the BBQ style rosemary (not sure what they call it in USA?). It's the type the grows very tall and very round and the shoots are hard enough to make skewers out of....It is awesome making some lamb skewers using the branch of a rosemary plant....:)

I cook with thyme, basil, cilantro, parsley and oregano the most.

I honestly rarely cook with anything else. I wouldn't know what to put tarragon in, no clue what woks with marjoram, etc. ;)

I second marjoram...it's killer for any stews or such.

Also would be sad without garlic, basil, mexican oregano (just like it better than Italian), thyme, chives and/or green onions, rosemary, cilantro, and sage.

Remember the song?

"Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme"

It worked in the 16th century, and still does. :)

I got it dried from the grocery store's Mexican Foods aisle where the chile powders/pods in bags and such are.

Very strong, sweet and pungent stuff. I wish I could post a scent because it's heavenly..sometimes I just open the jar and smell it. :)

Infos: http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/kitchen/2005sp_oregano.html

Mexican oregano has a sweetness and intensity that many gourmets prefer to the flavor of the true European or Mediterranean species. The leaves are a wonderful flavoring for fish, meatballs, sausage, tomato sauces, or any recipe requiring a strong oregano essence. Trim off some of the plant's thicker branches and utilize them as flavor-enhancing skewers for seafood or poultry shish kebobs or vegetable brochettes. Whole branches can be strewn over hot charcoal to impart a fantastic taste to grilled foods.

In its native Mexico, the herb is sometimes called té de pais ("country tea"), because the dried leaves are brewed into an herbal tea. It is also employed in salsas, pozole (Mexican-style hominy soup, usually prepared with pork), adobos (strongly flavored Mexican seasoning pastes), and rajas (roasted and seasoned chile strips used as filling for tortillas or quesadillas or as a base for more complex dishes).

Most herbs are darn easy to grow....I'd add dill, fennel and lemon balm to what everyone else has suggested...I'm probably forgetting something. Grow them all! I do!

~DiggingDog

parsley (flat leaf is tastier than afro style), basil, thyme, coriander (was called cilantro in Canadia), kaffir lime tree for the leaves, lemongrass as well, that should about do it for the fresh needs. Oh, dill is always welcome.

Parsley is bitter most of the time yeah Mcgoo? Heaps good for iron intake.

Plant some bonsai garlic Derek.

Back