• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Name this chile!

I found this at my local supermarket. unfortunatly no one in the produce dept. knew what it was...try to pass it off as a habanero(!) I thought it might be a scotch bonnet but the thick stem made me think it might not even be a c. chinnese variety.

So, I call upon the knowledge base of this forum to name this chile!

BTW, the walls were not hot at all but there was some decent heat around the seeds.

mysterypepjq0.jpg

Oh yeah, they are 1 1/2" to 2" in diameter.

chuk hell said:
I found this at my local supermarket. unfortunatly no one in the produce dept. knew what it was...try to pass it off as a habanero(!) I thought it might be a scotch bonnet but the thick stem made me think it might not even be a c. chinnese variety.

So, I call upon the knowledge base of this forum to name this chile!

BTW, the walls were not hot at all but there was some decent heat around the seeds.

Oh yeah, they are 1 1/2" to 2" in diameter.

It looks like a bishops crown but i don't know that I've seen a yellow one before.

Jamaican Hots and Scotch Bonnets sometimes grow that shape. I think the Scotch Bonnets are more likely to be yellow. Easily mistaken for habs by produce guys. But I'm more cook than cultivarian...

Hi Potawie

Looks a bit like the one I posted but its even more like the True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet shape than the one I showed.....I guess its one of the variations on that theme in any case......

All the best

Guy

Looks like a hab wearing a sombrero. I'll bet that willard could solve this mystery..:P In the meantime, we could just name this pepper, Bob.

Well if they are scotch bonnets they don't have much flavor or heat. I cut up two and threw 'em in with some tacos I ate last night. No big deal....

One looks like a yellow scotch bonnet. But I tend to agree with the Cap for the other two. Their heat level makes me believe that they are a hybrid of some sort. Everything that I have read indicates that they should be very hot. I have had a few Habs that didn't have much heat. And they were from the same plant that produced fiery hot habs. Eat the last one raw and tape it. Maybe it's just luck of the draw. Did you eat the one on the right yet (the more rounded one)?

chuk hell said:
I've got a whole bag of em. I've eaten 3 so far and they are pretty lame.

Hmm, bummer. Hope they have decent flavor. Oh wait, I got it. It's time to make some money!!! First you need real Bonnets that look like the weak ones. Then you can scam unsuspecting teenagers out of their parents money. Simply bet them $20 that you can eat more than they can. No, no that just wouldn't be right.........:hell: .........let me know how it goes ;)

Hi!

That is a Capsicum annuum (no constriction at the base of the calyx). I have seen some similar red and yellow ones that have been sold also with the name Scotch Bonnet. A bit confusing, but that's the way marketing is nowadays.

-Harry

They look like scotch bonnets to me, but without heat???

I asked the Peppermaster... He doesn't know what they are, but he says they're definitely not scotch bonnets... too bulbous.

Maybe Mark knows?

T

Back