• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Got Pumpkin?

Why throw away last year pumpkin when you can just place it where you want more to grow? I have seed for the giants in the fall.:shocked:
IMG_2270.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

My neighbour grows butter nut pumpkins and she always throws a few runners over the fence for me......I love it and always manage to get a few pumpkins out of it...

On the subject of pumpkins here is my list of four. I am ready to go in May and hope to have some really nice pumpkins.

Atlantic Giant

Big Moon

Howden

Winter Luxury( dates bake to the 1800's )

Kevin

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
You can buy the Atlantic Giant at Lowes. Only 15 seeds per pack and I've got just one. Pumpkin seed shoud be started in July.

I'm getting mine from an online company that harvests them directly from 700+ pounders. It's $7+ for two seeds, but if you are going for size, it's a good idea.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
You can buy the Atlantic Giant at Lowes. Only 15 seeds per pack and I've got just one. Pumpkin seed shoud be started in July.

I normally start mine at mid May.Gives me time to grow the big ones.

Kevin

Nice pic!
I've personally never liked the Atlantic Giants, the same seeds have been around for a long time and there appears to be much better varieties these days. I grew a plant hydroponically one year and it got to be quite big, but they really do need lots of heat and sunlight.
Some of my best pumpkins come up on their own in the bush, after being spread out and fertilized by deer poop

POTAWIE said:
Nice pic!
I've personally never liked the Atlantic Giants, the same seeds have been around for a long time and there appears to be much better varieties these days.

I don't plan on eating the thing, just keeping it alive.

origamiRN said:

We can compare then, it will be interesting as we live in totally different places. :)

Recommended spacing spacing is 6ft between hills. Plant about 4 to 5 seeds per hill and thin to your best one or two plants. I normally space my hills about five feet with two to three plants per hill. If you are growing for giant contest thin pumpkins to one per plant. A good site to get info is Howard Dill's site. http://howarddill.com/

Kevin

I usually make a Pumpkin Hot sauce every year. But I use the pumpkin meat from a friends left overs after Haloween. Guess this year I'll try growing my own. My garden space was just increased from the landlord to almost double of what I had.

I didn't mean for eating, I meant that for me they(DAG's) don't grow as nice or as huge as other large pumpkin types. Like Iggy said, you have to spend a few dollars for seeds if you want really nice monster pumpkins.

Here's kitty crawling on a hydroponic Dill's atlantic giant a few years back. Kitty is now around 25Lbs and would likely crush that pumpkin:)

3396070008_5104d6298a.jpg

I got three seeds from a gentleman on another forum from a 987 pounder and i left two pumpkins on one vine. the vines get huge.

Picture225.jpg

This is the only pic I have of the vine early on, it got 5 times that size or maybe more. It is all wilted because I had the black plastic down. I did not know that the vines root themselves to get more water so when i took up all the plastic they perked back up in about a week.
DCP_2646.jpg

Picture227.jpg

Back