• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

How to get a smooth texture?

Hi all,

I've been browsing this site off and on for the past couple of months, and have a question.

How do you get a smooth / pourable texture when making hot sauces?

Last year was the first year I tried making sauce, and I was pretty much flying by the seat of my pants. It came out ok, but, was a *lot* of work, and I figured there has to be an easier way.

What I did was chop as much as I could in a food processor, add more liquid and cook down to about the consistency I wanted. But, it was still too chunky for what I was looking for. So, I used a strainer with pretty small holes, and a spatula and just kept working the stuff through the screen, scraping the meat from the skins / seeds.

I ended up with a decent texture, and the strainer had the left over skins and seeds. But, even for a small amount (say 4-6 woozys), it was very time consuming / labor intensive.

I'm hoping to set it up a bit this year, growing more / different peppers, and would like to make basic sauce, and maybe wing sauce and / or some marinades. But, I know there's got to be an easier way!!

Thanks for any ideas / experiences!!

imaguitargod said:
Alot of high power blending and alot of vinegar. I find the more vinegar, the thinner it will be.

Any liquid overly added will make it thinner and vinegar adds nothing to smooth the texture. You are correct on the horsepower though. I use an immersion emulsifier (boat motor) and the sauce comes out smooth as a baby's butt!

Cheers, TB.

Thanks for all the help!

So, a blender rather than food processor sounds like the main difference.

When the time comes, I'll give that a shot. Just looking ahead at any equipment / supplies I may need later this year.

Thanks again!

Yeah, my cusinart is good for getting to semi-smooth salsa like consistancy and for getting ingredients down to a managable cooking size...but nothing beats a blender for gooification.

There's a reason it has a "liquify" setting.. ;-D

High Horse Powered blender and let it rip for a good amount of time!!

gx2av_model_main_black_large.jpg

@dyce - that thing looks like it puts the 'fun' in functional!! LOL

@patrick - Looks great! But, $400???!!!?? At least you can have fun watching the vids on their site!

I was working my bhuty off with a home style blender, invested
in a waring CB15 1 gallon blender, ss container, 3.75 HP.(used) It cut
my process time down considerably!

ButchT

Yikes!! I was thinking more along the $100 or so range! Even if it takes a little while, it's gotta be easier than scraping through a screen by hand like I did last year! haha!

Back