• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

First Tomatos Planted Out 04-09-09

I watched the weather pretty closely over the past month getting ready for plantout and it's a good thing I did...we had a freeze last Monday and Tuesday. I planted out the middle to end of March last year so I am about 2-3 weeks behind where I was last year at this time...

A lot of people around here planted out the middle of march and have lost all of their tomato and pepper plants due to the freeze last week...

Here are two pics...sorry I can't show the whole cement farm in one photo...the cement farm is about 40 feet long. It is a raised bed with the bottom 8 inches off the ground, 16 inches wide and has 24 inches of potting soil for the plants to fluorish in...hope I have a better year this year than last year for tomatos....had very poor production last year due to the weather here...

Right end of cement farm....

TomatoPlantout04-09-09.jpg

Left end of cement farm...

TomatoPlantout204-09-09.jpg

The rest of the tomatos will be planted in containers...am going to plant 2 large red cherry and 2 Tommy Toe tomato plants in topsy turvys then will plant Pink Accordian, Plum Lemon, Solar Fire, Sprite, Homestead, and Solar Set in large containers...probably 3 per 25 gallon container...

AlabamaJack said:
had very poor production last year due to the weather here...
Also, keep in mind that cinder blocks leach stuff into the soil. I did a bunch of research for a CP tank project I was working on a few years back.

too late now...I have been growing in this cement farm for 7 years now...hopefully all the stuff that would leach out has already leached...

AJ, sorry to go off subject but how long do tomato seeds take to germinate? I'll love you forever if you can tell me. (sorry, too lazy to trawl through posts).

Sorry to bother you again AJ but after a beer I felt brave enough to poke about under the soil and it looks like quite a few have germinated. I know I said I was patient. All of mine are going to be in pots BTW.

RB my dear, you never are a bother to me...I am glad they are starting to germinate for you....I will have probably another 24 or so in pots too...

Thanks AJ :) Like I mentioned in another post that Toleman had sent me these seeds as I loved the look of them and I love tomatoes, I didn't want to let Toleman (Chris) down.

Back