• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked chicken:Marinade, brine, or inject?

I'm thinking of doing a small chicken on the smoker today or tomorrow, and I was just wondering how some of the you "heavy smokers" do your whole chicken. I have this creole butter with an injector that's been sitting around in the cupboard for a while, so I may try that out but am also considering soaking it in a brine. I usually have good success with smoking chicken, but am really looking for some new ideas so please share your recipes or comments. Also if you have a favorite "tried & tested" dry rub recipes, please post. I'm usually a "pinch or this, pinch of that" kind of cook and am really trying to be more discipline in measurments and recording. Maybe I just need to start drinking after my prep-work is done:)

Brine and inject.

The brine does more than marinate, it tenderizes and improves moisture retention.

The subsequent injection would therefore need far less salt, but can impart flavor much deeper into the meat.

Let us know how it goes!!

I agree. I have had them done both ways, but I think the combo would be great. As for a rub, I use one with garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, chile powder (I have a combo of chipotle, cayenne, ancho, and habanero), thyme, sea salt, mustard powder, all spice, and brown sugar. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

cheezydemon said:
Brine and inject.

The brine does more than marinate, it tenderizes and improves moisture retention.

The subsequent injection would therefore need far less salt, but can impart flavor much deeper into the meat.

Let us know how it goes!!

JayT said:
I agree. I have had them done both ways, but I think the combo would be great. As for a rub, I use one with garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, chile powder (I have a combo of chipotle, cayenne, ancho, and habanero), thyme, sea salt, mustard powder, all spice, and brown sugar. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I concurr.

The high priests have spoken! Now go ye forth and smoke thine chicken.

Cheers, TB.

i just used that same injection in a pork loin. i found the butter taste to be artifical. be careful not to use too much of it.

i brine all my poultry. at the present moment i have a yard bird marinating that i injected with marinade/brine. peach juice,salt,spices.

spatchcock chicken tonight on the grill, i will be using a apricot bbq sauce at the end of the cook.

as others have said, brining is great for keep the moisture in the bird. i even brine my holiday turkeys for regular oven cooking. you can over cook a brined bird and it will still be juicy.

heres some TNT rubs and marinates etc

Poultry Rub
3/4 cup Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup black pepper -- freshly ground
1/4 cup celery salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons cayenne
2 tablespoons zest from 3 to 4 lemons, dried and minced
Mix ingredients in a bowl. Store in a tightly sealed jar in a cool dark place.

Spicy Lime Marinade for Chicken
1/4 cup of apple juice
1/4 cup of fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoon of red chili pepper paste
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon paprika

mix all ingredients together.
Marinade overnight or 4-7 hours

Cajun Marinade (For Injection)
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon ground passilla chile
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon roasted and ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons cayenne pepper sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
12 ounces chicken stock
12 ounces beer

Place the dry ingredients in a clean coffee grinder and grind until very fine. Place the liquid ingredients in a small saucepan and add the ground dry ingredients. Bring to a boil. When it comes to a boil, remove from heat and let cool completely . Using a syringe with a large needle, inject the turkey every inch or so. Do this 24 hours before cooking. After 24 hours you can cook the turkey how you like, deep fried, smoked, roasted, etc. I think the deep fry method is best suited for this marinade.

Chicken Marinade
1/2 cup Soy sauce
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
1/4 cup Red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Sweet Basil
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder with parsley
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper

Combine all ingredients. Pour over chicken pieces in a non-metal dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning pieces occasionally. Use marinade to baste chicken while barbecuing.

:shocked:

DAMN BAM.

Thanks for sharing!

I too brine the TGiving Turkey...

Due to the freaking YUM of it, we now do turkey 3-4 times a year.

TURKEY!! IT's NOT JUST FOR HOLIDAYS ANYMORE!!!!!!!;)

You can never go wrong with brining. If you want some extra moisture during the smoke, you can always violate the bird with a beer can as well to steam the inside...

I like brined and injection, but my favorite by far is drunken chicken. Basically you pick up a stand that's made to hold a beer can and you put the chicken standing up on the stand and smoke. You first cut the top off of the beer can and drink about half of the beer and add your season / flavor to the can. As you smoke the bird the mix in the can heats up and literally steams the bird from the inside out. I usually stuff the neck area with orange / lemon so it makes a good seal on the top. Depending on what type of flavor your looking for you can get light beer, dark beer, sweet beer etc. You can also put fresh herbs and or JD in the can to add extra flavor. One of my favorites is red nectar beer, a little JD, some honey, and a tablespoon of 5 spice. I usually mix up the ingredients first microwave them until hot, then rub it over the bird and put the rest into the can for a long smoke ahead. I usually smoke birds at a lower temp say around 200 for about 3 hours. Since the can keeps constant steam on the bird it's also juicy and never dry.

Here is a pic of 2 birds on stands about to come off the grill.

newgrill.jpg

I'm from the "always brine a bird" school of thought. That's really the only constant, other than that just make it up as I go along based on what I'm in the mood for.

And damn all of you and your smokers, mine is being neglected in my parent's garage. Stupid apartment.

no balcony?....lol

if not, its time to go cook for the parents..lol

any excuse will to do for some Q..lol

Txclosetgrower said:
I'm from the "always brine a bird" school of thought. That's really the only constant, other than that just make it up as I go along based on what I'm in the mood for.

And damn all of you and your smokers, mine is being neglected in my parent's garage. Stupid apartment.

Wow Bam... those sound great!!!!! You keep givin up your recipes you not gonna have any secrets left!! LOL....I will have to try those...

BamsBBQ said:
no balcony?....lol

if not, its time to go cook for the parents..lol

any excuse will to do for some Q..lol

Fire ordinance prevents using grills, smokers, etc within x number of feet from residence. Can't remember the exact # but my only option would be smack in center of parking lot :(

I can make some ridiculous steak, burgers, and ribs inside that will rival anything off a grill.... Only downside is all my clothes/apartment smells like steak for a few days. Which is totally worth it.

LGHT said:
I like brined and injection, but my favorite by far is drunken chicken. Basically you pick up a stand that's made to hold a beer can and you put the chicken standing up on the stand and smoke. You first cut the top off of the beer can and drink about half of the beer and add your season / flavor to the can. As you smoke the bird the mix in the can heats up and literally steams the bird from the inside out. I usually stuff the neck area with orange / lemon so it makes a good seal on the top. Depending on what type of flavor your looking for you can get light beer, dark beer, sweet beer etc. You can also put fresh herbs and or JD in the can to add extra flavor. One of my favorites is red nectar beer, a little JD, some honey, and a tablespoon of 5 spice. I usually mix up the ingredients first microwave them until hot, then rub it over the bird and put the rest into the can for a long smoke ahead. I usually smoke birds at a lower temp say around 200 for about 3 hours. Since the can keeps constant steam on the bird it's also juicy and never dry.

Here is a pic of 2 birds on stands about to come off the grill.

newgrill.jpg

i had the beer can chicken thingy last year for the first time... and i have to tell you that it was the best bird i have ever had... its the only way to cook a bird IMO if you have the time..;)

they are coming along good. we had an unexpected move so things go delayed a bit. will post pics when they get further on.

i just smoked some habs w/ cherry/alder that i am going to make a hot sauce out of. you will be gettting one of those as soon as i can find some caps for my woozies.

Hotpeppa said:
hey bam,

how are the seeds coming along ?

thanks for the recipe, will def be giving that a go...

Dyce51 said:
Wow Bam... those sound great!!!!! You keep givin up your recipes you not gonna have any secrets left!! LOL....I will have to try those...

i have a few TNT trade secret recipes that i wont give up..lol

Hotpeppa said:
i had the beer can chicken thingy last year for the first time... and i have to tell you that it was the best bird i have ever had... its the only way to cook a bird IMO if you have the time..;)

Yeah I almost always beer can my chickens. The only thing I haven't tried yet is putting the bird in an overnight brine before I beer can and smoke it. Not sure if it will help or not. We shall see one day! ;)

Back