• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wintering

Does anybody know if wintering is necessary in SoCal.
Also my habs dont seem to be changing color is this due to the weather changes lately or my impatients.

Yes, you do need to overwinter, it tends to get a little cold during the winter. The habs will change color, just give em time. It usually takes 60 or so days to mature.

naganero said:
so basically i am impatient, overwintering require more than just moving indoors?

They still need regular light and water. Not sure how cold it gets there but if it's only at night when it drops below 65f then you should be able to have them outside most of the time, moving them in when the temp drops.

It gets to be about (well, in Los Angeles, the OC is a bit cooler at times) around 47-late 50's at night. Sometimes it can be the late 50's during the day too. I didn't move my plants indoors last winter. Had to cut back alot of the dead stems but they survived. Now they are big and bushy and loving life again.

My hab plants here survive anything down to an actual freeze. If that happens by some freak occurance out there you can throw some sheets over them and maybe put a lightbulb under there.

Oh man...I may have to dig mine up and get some pots for the winter. I didn't winter mine last year and they all died off.

I've had frost warnings the last two nights and its only mid August. Unusual even for the Great White North, eh.

Back