smokers THE AUSSIE BUILD A UGLY DRUM SMOKER SMACK DOWN! MOYBOYvsCHILLIMAN!

GDAY
I here declare the AUSSIE UDS SMACK DOWN !
I call out MOYBOY!
( as neither of us have built one and are collecting parts)

RULES:

1. Build a standard UDS
2. cook something in it with photos ! (and eat it ) lol

BUILD START NOW !
BUILD END 20th of next month (that's a month)

ANYBODY WELCOME - PHOTOS OF BUILD AND FINISHED PRODUCT ARE A MUST !

Good Luck Moyboy your going to need it ! (I hope your not a engineer or welder or something)

PHOTOS OF A UDS found on google images.

udsfirsttryhr9.jpg

ugly_drum-smoker.jpg

MY NEXT VENTURE -

the ultimate 55 gallon drum smoker ;
bigbaby1.jpg

can i join? i just got a new to me drum today. i know i am not Aussie but i still want in..lmao

and i would hold off on building your double barreled smoker. unless of course you are rich and can afford all the fuel it is going to burn..lol

they are very ineffecient, they look great though. i was going to build one of them until i talked to a few guys that have them. they all ended up building UDS's...lol

my entry

5agd93.jpg

NO WORRIES ! ANYONE CAN PLAY !!!

Your right The big guy just looks good ! I would never use it ! But this little guy ill use !

It will be good havin a VETRIEN here ~

A month......:lol:

You are neally bloody finished yours and mine is still a raw drum with crap in it......:lol:

Sounds like a plan but I might not have it done in a month but I will do my best........

And as for Bams........Chilliman, what are you doing......He is like the king of building smokers.......:P

Will be fun.....

i am doing this one cheap as possible. i wont use the big tools in my shop.. i will not use the welder..lol

wire cutters,drill,and elbow grease..

i havent even burnt mine out yet..i think that is tomorrows job..lol

moyboy said:
A month......:lol:

You are neally bloody finished yours and mine is still a raw drum with crap in it......:lol:

Sounds like a plan but I might not have it done in a month but I will do my best........

And as for Bams........Chilliman, what are you doing......He is like the king of building smokers.......:P

Will be fun.....

Could I get a better fit ? There is not even 2mm in it ! NO MOVEMENT ! yey !
Snug fit like it was made for it top and bottomm !! (silver version of the weber kettle)
041.jpg

045.jpg

043.jpg

It is a NO lid drum so I have to cut it out :(

Chilliman that's great it fits straight away....

Mine doesn't fit as my drum has a removable lid which then gives it a rolled edge, and this means the webber lid is just a little bit to small.

I have to take to the rolled edge with a grinder that I don't have....:lol: and I will be making the fire basket with the welder and metal i don't have.....:rolleyes:

LOL - No rules really, just was thinking that if your engineer and you shop build !

Mine is backyard magic. As I am sure both yours and bams are ;)

Only real problem I have is, it is a sealed drum and I have to cut it out.

I was going to get an open one, but that fits too well ! If you look really close the rolled lip is snug inside lid.
Remember they have about 3 different sizes, and they look almost the same ! couple of MM in it !

moyboy said:

Mine doesn't fit as my drum has a removable lid which then gives it a rolled edge, and this means the webber lid is just a little bit to small.

I have to take to the rolled edge with a grinder that I don't have....:lol: and I will be making the fire basket with the welder and metal i don't have.....:rolleyes:

if you have a removable lid then you dont need to have a weber lid...

your first rack that you are going to be cooking the food on needs to be 24" above your charcoal basket, then you can play with the second rack and place it where ever you want..

mine is like yours
2aexez7.jpg

and my friend made this one...it has a lid on it as well

udspics090.jpg

moyboy said:

you might have to make another mod to yours then... you might have to make a flange of sorts..the one in the picture, they used an old weber an cut out the top part of it

100_1640.jpg

I was thinking that Bams, and thanks for the pic mate. Now I have a better idea of how to do it......I should delete the pic so chilliman doesn't see it....:lol:

moyboy said:
I was thinking that Bams, and thanks for the pic mate. Now I have a better idea of how to do it......I should delete the pic so chilliman doesn't see it....:lol:

its ok i think he wont need the mod since he has to cut out the lid..he will be looking for a different kind of mod..lol

i got my first toys for the UDS coming in the mail today

3-12" turkey deep fryer thermometers
25s60at.jpg

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I forgot ;)
BUT fixed any way ! cut it to small heated it up threaded it on and cooled it off for tight fit ! Then the fire putty.

Had first smoke last night! LEG OF LAMB ! and some more BHUT sangs !! The smoker sits between 75 degree and 85 degree CELCIUS - PERFECT ! About 8hr cook !
And lots of Wild Turkey, it was a late, drunk one last night!

Im off to PLAY TWO UPS ! FOR ANZAC DAY ! AS SHOULD BE ALL AUSSIES !

WILL HAVE PHOTOS ! just hangover and cant be bothered right now !

well my progress is minimal but i cut my intake holes today and burnt out the drum. tomorrow i will look for spare parts at local scrap yard. i will also be building my charcoal grate tomorrow.

333lt7t.jpg

Back