• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Jerky recipe/techniques wanted

I want to make some beef and/or venison jerky this fall and was looking for a good recipe and technique. I have a small smoker and a couple of dehydrators and hopefully a large smoker will be built by then. I really want to make a smokin' hot batch for myself, so I want to encorporate dryed habs into the marinade. Any info or comments would be appreciated.

First, get one of these: http://www.sausagesource.com/catalog/je-hjs.html (this is a good price)

Next, a simple dehydrator will do. I use some liquid smoke in the mix and do it in my dehydrator because I can control the heat better, and it stinks the house up good.

Use the round nozzle and make snack sticks with fresh bits of minced jalps or habs in them. Yummy.

I've never had jerky like that, but I've seen the "jerky shooters" before. I've only had the thinnly sliced type and that's sort of what I'm looking for. I usually have quite a bit of venison in the fall and don't want to grind it up when I can just slice but I may try the "shooter" as well. Also planning on trying my own hot potawie sausages this year, but lots to learn.

When i was in Utah in the Air Force, the local game butchers used to just cut meat into strips for jerky...Kinda looked like Bacon before they dehydrated and smoked them. I have to admit that fresh venison jerky is easily by far my favorite of all the jerky types(although, fresh bison is extremely good too).

I like the ground kind beacuse it's easier on my "teefs". Except when you use ground turkey - the stuff dries like glue. Tasty though.

I have tried many homemade marinades. the trick is the salt content. For real storage the marinade should taste salty to you. I have had good luck with soy based, wine based, and tomato based. bad luck with fruit juice. I blended my homemade salsa and mixed it equal with soy and that came out real well. but the one all my friends ask for...the one I was paid to make for a trip to the bottom of the grand canyon...

http://www2.mailordercentral.com/lemproducts/products.asp?dept=14

sigh...L.E.M. 's own. also available at cabellas

I have two books I use as reference. for info on tecnique Jerky
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...=pd_bbs_2/102-1466524-1107336?ie=UTF8&s=books

and for recipe ideas (i never fully follow recipes) Just Jerky
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0965357201/ref=pd_bxgy_img_b/102-1466524-1107336?ie=UTF8

If you choose a soy sauce recipe I suggest finding an asian grocery store. Real brewed soy sauces are amazingly good compared to kikoman and the common brands.

Jerky talk, allright !!!
I have found that london broil is the best " store" meat, and venison is even better. The marinate is the trick. If at all possible, use a vacuum type sold at Cabelas, they are great. We have custom built a large vacuum type because Cabelas only hold 8 pounds of raw meat.
Adding hot sauce to the marinate will infuse SOME heat, but the best trick is to baste the drying jerky when its almost done, and then lower the heat to 140 degrees for the final hour, ( Mr Coffee types, take the lid off, and restack trays bottom to top every now and then to maintain consistancy). Let cool, then vacuum pack in a food saver bag. Refrigerated jerky will last months. Do not freeze unless vacuum packed, otherwise freezer burn will ruin the jerky.
Hope this helps with any questions !!! Oh, yeah, brewed soy sauce is MUCH better !!!, no need to add salt.

I also love the Lincon quote, I agree 100% with ya on that !!!
Later gang
Aj
:shocked:

Hank said:
I like the ground kind beacuse it's easier on my "teefs". Except when you use ground turkey - the stuff dries like glue. Tasty though.

Poultry must be fully cooked before drying to kill any toxins and bacteria, Turkey Jerky is the hardest to make " safe " to eat.
:shocked:

If you choose a soy sauce recipe I suggest finding an asian grocery store. Real brewed soy sauces are amazingly good compared to kikoman and the common brands.[/QUOTE]

Lee Lee market if your in PHX area

I stick a big anykindaloin in the freezer for a few hours (right now there is a 17 pound sirloin in there). Don't let it get solid. It will be easier to cut into thin strips without industrial machinery and the freezing adds a little tenderizing to the finished product by breaking up the cell structure a little. I slice it, marinate it at least 6 hours unless it's a high acidity marinade (fruits, tomatoes, vinegars, wines). Then it;s off to the dehydrator on high for a couple hours then down to the meat setting until done.

I suggest reconstituting your dried peppers in wine, water, or vingar before using in the marinade. it will help them stick and get some of the heat into the meat and not just on top. I use this trick with my dried herbs and garlic too.

Must be easy. Ron Popeil says all you need is his machine and some soy sauce :rolleyes:

I tried a new recipe and half way through snuck a piece of the thin stuff to taste it and...nothing. it was almost devoid of flavor. I pulled it all and put it in a tub looking to do a 2nd marinade (a tecnique i learned from my veggie jerky experiments). I thought about salad dressings and rubs but decided i would try dumping the bottle of tapatio hot sauce on it and let it set overnight. it's a little salty but the heat hangs with you in a way that tapatio by itself never did. This may be worthy of some more experimentation.

darthcarl said:
I tried a new recipe and half way through snuck a piece of the thin stuff to taste it and...nothing. it was almost devoid of flavor. I pulled it all and put it in a tub looking to do a 2nd marinade (a tecnique i learned from my veggie jerky experiments). I thought about salad dressings and rubs but decided i would try dumping the bottle of tapatio hot sauce on it and let it set overnight. it's a little salty but the heat hangs with you in a way that tapatio by itself never did. This may be worthy of some more experimentation.

Do you suppose there's any way to remove some of the saltiness at this point?

Interesting.

I was just looking for pemmican recipes. I have some habs still growing, and I have pounds and pounds of blackberries I picked in the mountains near Bradford PA. Habanero and blackberry pemmican sounds like it could be awesome.

Skydiver said:
Interesting.

I was just looking for pemmican recipes. I have some habs still growing, and I have pounds and pounds of blackberries I picked in the mountains near Bradford PA. Habanero and blackberry pemmican sounds like it could be awesome.
Was it? I've made deer jerky from hind quarters friends don't want. (Don't tell the game warden) anyway I use a dry rub, keep it simple. marinade overnight then load up the dehydrator all weekend.

Back