• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First green

Thus starts a summer of experiments...
Or thats what I told the family...and they said here we go again...

I decided that my next sauce had to be a green sauce. Problem is I didnt realize that in time to order seeds for the tomatillos and no one around sells the plants. Well I guess the experiments will be done with store bought fruits...

My first attempt was simple salsa, chunky style eh...
Roasted the toms, onions and the jalepenos on the grill with a nice hickory fire. The store bought japs had almost zero heat and the toms were pretty firm. but as a first try it was pretty good. Flavor was right and pointed me in the right direction for the next try. Cant wait to try it this summer with some habs or bhuts you know to add some venom to the mix. Maybe pureed...Hmmmm...

Any advice from the pros????

If you're making a green sauce, be sure to roast the tomatillos until soft and skins are charred, either on the grill, in hot cast iron, or under the broiler. After that, your canvas is stretched, and you have only to paint upon it the flavors you deem fit.

Some people hate green sauce, but I for one love it if it's done right. Aside from lime juice, cilantro, and onion, it's the only thing that really does well made tacos justice in my opinion!

FiveStar said:
If you're making a green sauce, be sure to roast the tomatillos until soft and skins are charred, either on the grill, in hot cast iron, or under the broiler. After that, your canvas is stretched, and you have only to paint upon it the flavors you deem fit.

Some people hate green sauce, but I for one love it if it's done right. Aside from lime juice, cilantro, and onion, it's the only thing that really does well made tacos justice in my opinion!

Didnt roast the toms till really soft. If I grill till skins are blackened... would I need to peel them or is that just part of the character of the sauce? I guess if im puree'n than it dont matter, just another subtle flavor....

Its gonna be a great summer...

Next in line said:
Didnt roast the toms till really soft. If I grill till skins are blackened... would I need to peel them or is that just part of the character of the sauce? I guess if im puree'n than it dont matter, just another subtle flavor....

Its gonna be a great summer...

I just leave the blackened peel on. Adds some rustic quality to the sauce, and tastes good too.

Give it a try sometime! It makes it a little sweeter too..

Back