• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

USDA Germplasm access?

So I've always poked around on the USDA germplasm database looking at random un-named peppers. You know, all those PI###### plants.

Here's the link: http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/acc/acc_queries.html

From here, you can search using the text query box, for any Capsicum species you'd like, or any other plant for that matter. If there's any seeds in their collection, you can request seeds by clicking on the accession of interest and requesting them. Hell, you can rack up a whole list of seeds to request. But here's the catch...

You've gotta provide proposed research with the seeds, and a followup publication is expected on your findings.

Anyone ever received seeds from the USDA? I'm guessing it's easier said than done unless you know someone doing breeding or genetics work with them.

I am planning on taking a botany class next semester, maybe I can snag some varieties from them with that excuse.

I don't know how they've been classified, but some of them have weird lists like : mixed C. annuum x C. baccatum var pendulum x C. pubescens

Makes me wonder if they're just done morphologically. The distribution is 5 seeds on average it looks like. Look at this weirdo http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1209273. White fruit, red fruit, round fruit, long fruit, where's the cat with the hat?

Hey Guys; I am new here, but not to O.P. gardening. I ordered from the USDA/GRIN in 2006. All of the information that is requirred to receive seeds from them is on their website. The Tomato seeds state 50 seeds but it is over 100. This is also true with peppers. I have no idea who came up with the 5 seed thing. Their crops are all grown under row-covered cages and their ability to produce pure seed is one of the best systems in the entire country. Interestingly most of the seedstocks for peppers in the SSE are crossed. This is the main reason I still order from the Grin.

They sent me some specimens for research, but I had troubles getting the specimens in from my end.

I got a few pepper and tomato specimens from the USDA five, or maybe six, years ago. They gave me 5 seeds for each pepper variety they sent me and 10 seeds each for the tomatoes. At the time all you had to do was make a request for seeds and specify that you were going to use them for breeding purposes. I think that now you have to follow up at the end of the season with a report on how your project worked out, but I'm not sure about that.

Alan

Anyone knows what it now needs to get some seeds from them? Do i also need any document to get them shipped in a foreign country?

I placed an order before some weeks, but nothing happens.

Back