Last week I started a quart of sauerkraut in a rigged/re-purposed food grade plastic pickle jar. I used 2% salt by weight, added some caraway seeds and Joyner's 7 pod white powder, and covered with a double layer of cheesecloth held on by a rubber band. It turned out fantastic and was so easy that I invested in a couple airlock lids and glass fermentation weights to get some more stuff going, and spent several hours yesterday setting it up. From left to right (all jars are wide mouthed quart jars):
- Finished sauerkraut w/ caraway and Joyner's 7 pod white powder (coincidentally transferred into a jar from store bought kraut)
- Garlic (13 freaking heads all painstakingly peeled!)
- Asparagus spears with garlic, lemon peel, and peppercorns
- Mushrooms (boiled in salt water, with added ginger, peppercorns, and rosemary; 2% brine was created from the leftover mushroom broth - just occurred to me while writing this that it may be over-salted, we will see!)
- Onion, carrot, and jalapeño w/ garlic, peppercorns, cumin, and Mexican oregano
ferment pic.JPG 110.83KB 9 downloads
All of these have a bay leaf, which is supposed to help with texture, and each jar received a spoonful of kraut juice from my first ferment as a "starter". I'm not sure if it was sufficient volume to kick anything off, but it can't hurt.
The garlic will probably go for at least a month, most others will probably be done in a week or two.
The goal/plan is to spend the next several months fermenting anything and everything and get my technique, salt ratios, and any other variables dialed in before pepper harvest.