• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds 1.5 year old superhot seeds...

I've got some supers I got from pepperlover.com and THSC in 8/2011.

Think I should order some fresh.ones to be safe? They were kept in the fridge the entire time. Normally I wouldn't worry at all but supers are such a pain to germinate in the first place I'm wondering if I should get ahold of some backups?

your germination rate might be hurt a little, but the majority should still be fine. -- maybe start them a couple weeks earlier that you had planned - that way if they don't sprout, you'll still have time to order new seeds.

Thanks guys... that's about what I thought. I have started them although its only been three days or so but I think I'm going to throw a few more down to be safe. I need to be assurred that I have a few so better safe then sorry.

Thanks for the input.

... Think I should order some fresh.ones to be safe? They were kept in the fridge the entire time. ...
I’m thinking either you or someone else here can answer my question. I’ve never stored seeds in the fridge, I store mine in a dry cool place well sealed like I keep my coffee beans. Should I rethink my seed storage tactics? So far they’ve always germinated fine but I’ve never grown any super hots yet. BTW I've germinated seeds that are well over 5 years with a hatch percentage roughly around 75 to 80%.

*BTW when I say "well sealed," I mean 35mm film canisters that seals very well like pic below
667220_film_canister.jpg

If it works for ya then no worries man :)

If you want to theres no harm in simply putting your containers in the fridge though.

BTW Ive germinated seeds that were 10 years old ... but they were not superhots lol. You know within two weeks if somethings wrong or not with old seeds of different types of plants. Superhots ... with the whole waiting 30 days just to know if their viable or not.. its a bit of a different story. I dont want to wait a month only to have to replant and wait another month lol ;)

I was looking for what is considered “best practices” to achieve maximum seed life. I'm not one of the opinion that refrigeration or freezing certain things actualy is better and that's why my question. But as you say, my method works for me as is.

Last month I planted 5 Habanero (Classic Orange) that were packed for 2009. They were kept in a shoebox in the closet all that time. All 5 germinated but one was yellowish and shriveled up shortly after, so 4/5. In other words, its always worth a try (and wait). They all started poking through the soil at day 10.

I store my seeds inside a sealed ziplock bag with a dessicant gel pack. The bags are kept in a large yellow manilla envelope.

I've sprouted bhut jolokia seeds that were three years old, dusty and molded that were forgotten with no problem at all. I got eight out of ten to pop with the moist papper towl and ziplock bag method.

Appreciate the input guys... Ive always had good luck germinating old seeds. Even very old seeds, but the superhots always seem to give me troubles. I think its just the shear amount of time that it takes sometimes for them. Its hard to keep things perfectly moist and warm for 30 days straight lol. A week is one thing ... an entire month of misting and monitoring temps is another.

Thanks for all your posts I have some in soil now and as mentioned Im going to pop some more in dirt tonight.

Back