• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

10 gallon Root Pouch bag or plastic 17 gallon pot?

What do you think would most likely provide the best results, growing in a 10 gallon Root Pouch fabric bag or one of those plastic 17 gallon tubs with the rope handles they sell at stores like Target and Walmart?

I vote for the plastic tub. My dogs tear up those fabric pouches. All my pepper plants outside are in 15 or 20 gallon pots.

I have great root structure with these big pots. Lots more room to grow. If your worried about the roots breathing, take a 1/2 inch hole saw and put a half dozen holes in it for air pruning.

I vote for the plastic tub. My dogs tear up those fabric pouches. All my pepper plants outside are in 15 or 20 gallon pots.

I have great root structure with these big pots. Lots more room to grow. If your worried about the roots breathing, take a 1/2 inch hole saw and put a half dozen holes in it for air pruning.

Sweet! That was my plan, drill a bunch of holes!

I got a couple of those tubs you are talking about. Gonna try them out this year. Along with the holes, I would also make sure to use a mix with a lot of aerators(perlite/vermiculite/wood chips) in it (at least 50%).

I just ordered two black 25 gallon plastic pots from the hydroponics store. They carry them on a hit and miss basis. I want to put my Carolina Reaper in one. I have heard those plants can get 5 foot high. Lots of room to grow. I have a Dragon Fruit Cactus that also needs transplanting. The 25 Gallon pots are around $12. My wife doesn't mind the black pots out front and back. I think if I started sticking color ones my wife, neighbors, and city might mind. I don't want the city code enforcement knocking on my door to tell me someone has complained about colored pots.

The 25 gallon pots are almost impossible to move by yourself without hurting your back. With soil, plant and water they are approaching 200 lbs. You will need a hand cart to move them. Just FYI. In these big pots I mix in 10% pearlite on top of my already rich Sunshine #4.
Add in some Coco tech, and a few shovels of clean dirt. Mix it all together and start planting.

Good luck. I bought close to a hundred dollars worth of fabric pots last year. I was not happy with them. Plants did not get as big, and Cacti hate them. I think it allows them to dry out to fast in the summer sun. The black plastic was much better. It's hard to keep stuff watered and wet on 110+ deg days and Santa Ana winds blowing. Hot and dry. I will maybe try them again when I get my watering automated.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to grow tomatoes and some special plants in the 17 gallon tubs and use the 10 gallon Root Pouch bags for my peppers. :)

I think there is truth to the size adjustment. I have seen monstrous plants grown in 5 gal pots here in Japan.

Back