• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake 100 Pepper Powder Review

100 Pepper Powder Review Pt 11
pepperproblem

Bodeen Yellow Bhut
Mimicking the color of Grey Poupon this warm, apricot/dried fruit smelling powder is very well made. Fragrant, layered and creamy. It starts with a slow measured attack, then ratchets up the heat while adding a sharper acid edge. A tasty step down from the red Ghost.

fishing4fun2 Peach Bhut
A very pale dried grass look that sports delicious scents of Guava, tropical fruits and Nectarines. A tad hotter than the Yellow Bhut. It was a full frontal burn that hit the cranium harder than most. Not that most would eat just the powder, but I find the Bhuts really shine with food, compared to eating them straight. But that’s just me. Hot plus, plus

fishing4fun2 Red Ghost
Looking every bit like the ripening pattern of a R. Bhut, you will find that fall foliage look of red and orange. Somewhat grainy and displaying more oil than most. It retains that fresh pepper smell, while having the intensity of a powder. Smoky and spicy. A all in compassing heat that reminds you that while the Ghost was dethroned, its not anything to be taken lightly. Hot plus, plus

Cmpman1977 Chocolate Bhut/Cajamarca F1
Painted Desert peach colored powder. A rare and exotic combo that offers intriguing aromas of mixed berries/bubblegum and red fruits. A Chameleon concoction that shows many faces. Buttery smooth with hot slippery heat. This is a lower acid blend with no hard edges. Whats next?

Cmpman1977 Yellow 7 Pod and Bhut Carbon
A crackling dry powder with the look of newly fired clay. Yellow 7 scents jump out with textbook pineapple goodness. The spicy/smokey Carbon plays well with its new friend adding some seriousness to this tropical umbrella drink. The heat is rapid and seems to come in waves. A beauty with a strong right cross. Hot plus, plus

Cmpman1977 Caramel Hellfire, Bhut Caramel and Madballz Rusty 7 Pod
I am questioning the sanity of purchasing something titled Hellfire. It looks innocent enough. Fluffy little granules of perfume, chili smoke and iodine smelling spice. OK, this is not pulling any punches as the nostrils are a blaze prior to even giving it a go. Fast & furious. This is bloody hot. For the masochist among us. A excellent extreme powder. Now breath slowly. Hot, yep, very.

I continue to be enthralled by your talent. You, my friend, are a cunning linguist who's passion for capsicum and the written word leave me feeling like reading your thread is a valuable investment of my time and effort. (tears streaming down face) Bravo.

I continue to be enthralled by your talent. You, my friend, are a cunning linguist who's passion for capsicum and the written word leave me feeling like reading your thread is a valuable investment of my time and effort. (tears streaming down face) Bravo.

so apropos it had to be quoted for truth.

100 Pepper Powder Review Pt12 The Test Tubes
pepperproblem

KneppersPeppers Cherry Smoked Yellow Scorpion
Sandy brown and packed so tight it resembles a multivitamin. Sweet, savory and seamless. Smells marinade like. Great wood choice. This powder plays all the high notes as it rapidly races from point to point throughout your being. Heat is pinched and sharp. This was great on tacos. Hot plus, plus

KneppersPeppers Cherry Smoked Fatalii
Specks of bronze,copper and light brown. The pepper is more pronounced here, while the Cherry wood keeps the aromas in the same marinade/gravy vain with some added smooth sweet cream. Not lasting long in the mouth, this is faster to the belly. Heat reappears for a lasting burn that rivals the Yellow Scorpion, but comes off a tad smoother. Hot plus, plus

KneppersPeppers Applewood Cherry Smoked Fatalii
Noticeably darker than the previous two. It has the look of pipe tobacco. I was expecting the Applewood to dominate but this was not the case. This offers a bit more smokiness, while maintaining that hypnotic potpourri of savory spices. A bigger, brawny powder that leans towards the woody side. Assertive, aggressive heat that will give you a spanking. Hot plus, plus

KneppersPeppers Chestnut Moruga Blend
Oh goody, here we go. Maybe it was my imagination, the test tubes, this being the Moruga Blend, but this looked like dried blood. I have had Jags fresh Morugas and they are no joke. That being said, I like Moruga powder and this is a very good one. Mellow caramelized wood and textbook MB floral notes. The taste carries the floral theme with some tail end bitterness offset by the combustible nature of the beast. Flashbacks of the shock of eating my 1[sup]st[/sup] fresh one. A must. Hot, hell yea!

Slaughter's House Caribbean Red Habernero Garlic
A pale pinkish/white that looks like garlic powder with suspended pepper flakes. Think granite. No nose burning or pepper smells are apparent as the raw garlic dominates the theme here. This has a glossy smooth heat that would have more use as a spice addition to a soup or such without causing a backfire. Hot

Slaughter's House Caribbean Red Applewood Smokes Garlic
The smoking is a big improvement on the complexity of this powder., Not just the granulated garlic smell of the earlier rendition, the Applewood adds layers of sweet smoke while still letting the pepper peek through. While the garlic/wood smoke aroma is evenly split, it is the taste that shows the most separation. Initially quite woody and dry, the garlic pushes in way back in line and carries the load from here on out. Nice stuff. Hot

100 Pepper Powder Review Pt12 The Test Tubes
pepperproblem

KneppersPeppers Cherry Smoked Yellow Scorpion
Sandy brown and packed so tight it resembles a multivitamin. Sweet, savory and seamless. Smells marinade like. Great wood choice. This powder plays all the high notes as it rapidly races from point to point throughout your being. Heat is pinched and sharp. This was great on tacos. Hot plus, plus

KneppersPeppers Cherry Smoked Fatalii
Specks of bronze,copper and light brown. The pepper is more pronounced here, while the Cherry wood keeps the aromas in the same marinade/gravy vain with some added smooth sweet cream. Not lasting long in the mouth, this is faster to the belly. Heat reappears for a lasting burn that rivals the Yellow Scorpion, but comes off a tad smoother. Hot plus, plus

KneppersPeppers Applewood Cherry Smoked Fatalii
Noticeably darker than the previous two. It has the look of pipe tobacco. I was expecting the Applewood to dominate but this was not the case. This offers a bit more smokiness, while maintaining that hypnotic potpourri of savory spices. A bigger, brawny powder that leans towards the woody side. Assertive, aggressive heat that will give you a spanking. Hot plus, plus

Wow, these sound spectacular. I would eat a shoe if it was Applewood smoked, but now I see Applewood AND Cherry AND its being done to Fatalii???? Oh the wonders of the world!!
:onfire:

Shoe is better when smoked with Chestnut :rofl:

Glad you liked them Shawn. I am going to let the neighbor know to check the reviews out.
He smokes the garlic with the peppers and it really does hit it off as a great everyday everybody powder.

Ok first off Kudos to you Pepperproblem for gathering all those powders and reviewing them.

Secondly I just came across the post and couldn't stop reading the reviews. Like HHBH said this is making a wonderful shopping list of powders my kitchen needs.

Your descriptions are so vivid that I kept imagining what powders needed to be paired with some of my favorite foods.

Never before have I read a food description that made me immediately want to go out and buy them.

You sir have a wonderful talent for both "tasting" and getting it into words.

I graciously tip my hat to you.

David

Thank you David and all the others. I am really dialing in speciics for different foods. wood types etc. It is fun to play around with them and find the perfect match. Like wine, certain pepper/smoke/nonsmoked combinations work better with certain foods. I am a bit behind and have about 30 left.I hope to catch up this week. We have on this forum many people that produce amazing powders. It is a honor to taste thru them.Thanks again,I am glad you find it intresting. pp

Back