• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

1000w switchable ballasts

I have decided that given that there are a few 1000w switchable ballasts on the market these days that it would make sense to get one if not for the flexibility alone. My plans are to use it only for peppers. I have plenty of ceiling height so intensity can be reduced if needed, and the only worry I have is about how many BTU's per hour one would generate since I really am not ready to hack up the house for vents. Anyone who is currently using one I would love to hear some feed back. Currently I am looing at Lumitec and phantom. Primary concerns are performance, flexabilty and reliablity. Also what reflectors would you recommend for a 6x6x6 grow area.

I have a 600w ReVolt that dims to 50 and 75% and I love it. I would say look on ebay, waaaayyyyy cheaper and you can usually find free shipping if nothing else.

I needed the supplemental heat so I chose not to get a cooled hood, and I get a great consistent light stream with about even heat output. I would say that the only downside I have seen is that there is no on/off switch and the recepticle to plug the chord into the unit is a little touchy.

I really dont know how to convert to an accurate BTU, but the following may give you some kind of idea. Temperature reading were shot with a Fluke 61 infrared thermometer.

1000 watt coil over magnetic ballest, no air cooling

XXXL 6 inch Air cooled reflector, approx 180 cfm

1000 watt coil over magnetic ballest, with air cooling (bad photo temp is 86 deg)

XXXL 8 inch Air cooled reflector, approx 180 cfm

400 watt coil over magnetic ballest, non air cooled

Non air cooled reflector, and its only 400 watt !

Hope this helps...

I have spent some time in Baton Rouge, LA I know how hot it can get down there, I sure do miss the crawfish.

Back