• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

100w metal halide, should I get this?

100 Watt metal halide @ home depot

80 bucks online but i'm pretty sure i saw one at the store for like 65. I'm thinking about getting it and then rigging an enclosure, 100 W is plenty for my lettuce :D What you guys think?

I've even got plans for building a cool tube for it that i'm working on. If i get it that is.

Either that or i'm going to get 2 of these:

2 foot t5 single light
So 2 of these would be like 56 bucks.

I already have 2 so that would be 4 total.

Also its 9.99 for a 40 watt CFl & 7 dollars for a shop light fixture to hold that. And each cfl puts off like 2800 lumens. The 2 foot t-5s only put out like 2000 lumens and are 27 bucks.....DAMNIT! can't choose

i would only use T-5's!!!! that is what i would do... you should check into the 4ft T-5 you could do more with it... good luck man!!!

i know my hps did produce alot of heat but but wasnt hard to cool down, since the bulb burnt out i havent used it. and now i just stick to my 400w mh/hps. i would go with the t5's also if heat is a factor for you.

redeyes said:
i would only use T-5's!!!! that is what i would do... you should check into the 4ft T-5 you could do more with it... good luck man!!!

I already have 2 individual 2 foot ones, and the lettuce DWC system is right at 2 feet so its a perfect fit. I have an idea that would give mcguyver a hard-on though for that 100 watt metal halide. DIY cool-tube using a

73823.jpg

Coleman lantern replacement globe

that and some of that metallic ducting + a fan and I think i'd be in good shape as far as heat goes.

Txclosetgrower said:
Also its 9.99 for a 40 watt CFl & 7 dollars for a shop light fixture to hold that. And each cfl puts off like 2800 lumens. The 2 foot t-5s only put out like 2000 lumens and are 27 bucks.....DAMNIT! can't choose

Tx,

I bought four 23 watt CFL bulbs for $9 plus tax. They put out plenty of light for a 6 sq.ft. area.

Mike

If you get your own reflector and ballast, the MH and HPS bulbs are pretty cheap. you can cool most with the standard fan you use for hardening the plants, but 400W and even more 600W+ need something somewhat more "effective" (unless it's open space). you have NO IDEA how huge the difference is between one of those "I have no choice... I *have* to go with CFLs" bulbs and a proper MH/HPS. I have multiple MH bulbs and one HPS bulb (at the moment). My best MH's are 5500K/6500K and 400W+.

I also use a lot of fluorescents, too. if you do go with fluorescents at the end, you should probably use tubes. T5's are the best, but quite expensive.

Omri said:
you can cool most with the standard fan you use for hardening the plants, but 400W and even more 600W+ need something somewhat more "effective" (unless it's open space). you have NO IDEA how huge the difference is between one of those

Lol I'll have to post pics of how a friend and I cooled a 1000 watt HPS in a cool tube before. Pretty sweet & kept the room to about 80 degrees which isn't ideal but not bad considering the fan cost less than 10 bucks. 1000 watt HPS with a hortilux bulb will make the sun jealous. I let my friend have it though, 1000 watts is just too much for what I want to do.

I decided to go with the t-5 lights. I got my 2 single ones back, and i'm going to buy 2 more today and attach them to a board to make a 4 bulb single light.

Back