• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting 18 month ferment, what ingredients?

I've got a ferment of 18 months consisting of Brazilian Starfish peppers, and I need to know what ingredients I should use to maximize flavor without overpowering. I've got an award winning* recipe of garlic, lemon juice, and onion powder but it overpowers the peppers, and I feel this long ferment deserves something that will be flavorful but not overshadow the peppers.

My hot sauce used to taste like a hot flavorless paste if I didn't add enough ingredients, so it needs to be enough to taste good but I really want to bring out the flavor of the ferment.

Thanks!

*Has not actually won any recognized award

Are you adding the garlic, lemon juice, and onion powder at the beginning of the ferment, or at the end of the ferment?

I wouldn't want to add the lemon juice at the beginning.  The extra acidity might deter the bacteria from doing their job.

If you're adding all these ingredients at the end, I could see where it would impart a strong flavor.

I make a Louisiana hot sauce out of Brazilian starfish peppers. The pepper itself gives all the flavor you need. The only ingredients are peppers vinegar salt. I also can't help but wonder if you're adding the ingredients like onion and garlic to your ferment or fresh because fresh ingredients lend a much sharper flavor versus fermented with the peppers. Pictured is my Brazilian starfish sauce. Of course I only let my ferment go for about 30 days. yours would have so much more depth of flavor because of your patience.

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_161626792.jpg
    IMG_20201005_161626792.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 114
DontPanic said:
Are you adding the garlic, lemon juice, and onion powder at the beginning of the ferment, or at the end of the ferment?

I wouldn't want to add the lemon juice at the beginning.  The extra acidity might deter the bacteria from doing their job.

If you're adding all these ingredients at the end, I could see where it would impart a strong flavor.

I just mentioned those ingredients because that's what I usually do, and they are added after the ferment, but it's a really strong flavor that overshadows the peppers.

peppersproutfarm said:
I make a Louisiana hot sauce out of Brazilian starfish peppers. The pepper itself gives all the flavor you need. The only ingredients are peppers vinegar salt. I also can't help but wonder if you're adding the ingredients like onion and garlic to your ferment or fresh because fresh ingredients lend a much sharper flavor versus fermented with the peppers. Pictured is my Brazilian starfish sauce. Of course I only let my ferment go for about 30 days. yours would have so much more depth of flavor because of your patience.

When I first started fermenting and simply added salt and vinegar, my hot sauce tasted like a hot flavorless paste. It literally did not taste like anything. I don't know what I did wrong. I need to bring out the flavor of the ferment without making a kaleidoscope of flavors that overwhelm the natural fermented flavor.

Do you use brine in your ferment? Or are you just doing mash method by mixing salt with chopped up peppers? If you're using brine I would suggest not using any vinegar and only mixing in the brine with the peppers when you pasteurize your sauce.

peppersproutfarm said:
Do you use brine in your ferment? Or are you just doing mash method by mixing salt with chopped up peppers? If you're using brine I would suggest not using any vinegar and only mixing in the brine with the peppers when you pasteurize your sauce.

I use the brine method. I usually only add a few tablespoons of vinegar to give it an extra twang, but I can try it without. Thank you for the suggestion!

drimnarr said:
I use the brine method. I usually only add a few tablespoons of vinegar to give it an extra twang, but I can try it without. Thank you for the suggestion!
You can also try using a milder vinegar. Such as rice vinegar. It is very mild to the palate while still giving you a little bit of that "twang" that you want

Back