• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc 1kg of ladybugs and no aphids..

my huge bag of ladybugs came today but they have no aphids to eat....
I have food for them so I hope they stay but man I gotta tell ya that last year was a bugger for aphids and it almost killed us.
this year there have been no sign of anything bad other than a few ants that have been looked after .
last year we bought plugs from a company that was infested and this year we stayed away from them so I can say that so far no eggs or tainted soil has produced any problems .

Good news Shayne...it seems the aphids have moved south this year...my local nursery said they have had more requests for aphids/neem/pyrethrum this year than they have had in the past 5...

They hit me early inside the garage but I have them under control now...

good luck with the greenhouse operation...hope you make a bundle this year...

AlabamaJack said:
Good news Shayne...it seems the aphids have moved south this year...my local nursery said they have had more requests for aphids/neem/pyrethrum this year than they have had in the past 5...

did you get ladybugs??
last year when my infested plants were covered I tried oils and soaps and even sone stuff I had to put a space suit on to spray and it would be ok for a few days then back again.
3 days after the ladybugs came I had no sign of aphids.

Nothing works better than the bugs and they aren't more expensive than some poison spray. Did you buy them as a preventive measure?

shayneyasinski said:
did you get ladybugs??
last year when my infested plants were covered I tried oils and soaps and even sone stuff I had to put a space suit on to spray and it would be ok for a few days then back again.
3 days after the ladybugs came I had no sign of aphids.

Yes sir, got some lady bugs...7500 of them...problem was the neem I had used before getting them killed almost all of them...I bought 3000 first, and in 2 days all but about 30 were dead...a week later I bought another 3000 and same thing...most dead....another week I bought another 1500 and most survived but eventually left the nest (in my garage)...aphids are under control now...

Would ladybugs help with fruit flies too, or are they only helpful with aphids? I hate these darn fruit flies!! I'd rather not have to bust out the chemicals on my seedlings >.

Wow, i knew that ladybugs were good for a garden, i didn't realise that you could order them by the thousands. Do you count them to make sure you aren't getting ripped off a few hundred?

I buy ladybugs every year and there is no way I'm going to count ten thousand+ of them :)
I find the ladybugs work best in the spring. They seem to mostly die or hibernate when I buy them in the winter and if you have strong lights they will fly into them and die too.
For fruitflies I use one of those glass or plastic wasp catchers with something sweet in it and it catches lots.

Since Japanese beetles are so bad around here, and they are suppose to eat those things too...but they also bite..was wondering if there was a way that i could get them to hibernate and bring them out of hibernation only when i need them.

Growing some plants indoor since August, havent seen any aphid, fly, bug, or whatever on or near my plants. Of course very blessed with that.
Could not bare to see how those little critter eat my plants.

AlabamaJack said:

Yeah, thanks for the news AJ....i've been fighting them since September when i moved to my new place. Apparently the so-called 'gardners' i live next to have no concept of pest control. All their plants are infested. they just keep buying seedlings from Lowe's and stick them in the ground. so it's aphid city over there. Of course, they soon found the newbie plant in the neighborhood and moved right in to terrorize it. The f**kers shredded my caribbean red plant, but a buddy of mine 'loaned' me a boatload of his ladybugs, so the problem seems to be under control. For now.

Back