vendor 1lucky1972 eBay review...

So I bought seeds from this seller a couple weeks ago. I'm getting a 50% to 60% germination rate with some of the seeds, some of the hotter varieties don't germinate at all. Today I went back on the listings of the peppers I bought and I found that 5 out of 8 listings that I bought off of had images straight from google images.. When I say that I mean the very first picture on the google images list...

Here are some examples. If you go to this listing HERE, right click on the image, click "Search Google for this image", after it opens a new tab click on "Visually similar images" you will see that same image is the first one in the list.
Here are the other links to the listings that I checked.
Link #1
Link #2
Link #3
Link #4

Now I'm not saying that he/she is a bad seller but isn't it odd that someone sells hundreds, even thousands of seeds and doesn't even have the time to take a picture of their own peppers? Sounds a little fishy to me. 

Once the germinated plants grow pods I'll update this thread and I'll let you all know for sure if he/she is a reputable seller. I just wanted to warn some people so that they think before buying from a person that doesn't even take the time to use their own pictures, which can result in you getting peppers that look nothing like what you ordered or even completely different varieties.

Couple of thoughts.  First is that in another post, you said you are horrible at germinating.  So not sure why you would think that the problem is this person's seeds when you have been clear that you have horrible luck with all seeds.  Now in so far as the stock photos, this person is very likely a reseller and does not produce the seeds himself.  When you consider the fact that the vast majority of the US economy has at least one reseller between the producer and the consumer I am not sure why you would think this is so alarming.  If you buy seeds at Walmart, the garden supply, or just about any retail outlet you are most likely not buying from the producer.

The links you provided are very reasonable prices for very common seed stock.  Chances are this person is buying large quantities, counting them out, and reselling them.  Essentially, they are charging for the service of repackaging.  So of course they are using stock photos.  I would not be surprised if the photos come from the place s/he is buying their seed.

Not sure why you think there is something wrong with that.  Could you elaborate?  Do you really think someone selling a pack of 300 cayenne seeds for a dollar is somehow ripping people off?  Even with shipping, that is better than the Walmart price.

After thought: Great prices, damn near 100% positive reviews, thousands of followers, doesnt seem to claim to produce the see himself, more than 700 different seeds... damn those are some good prices.

ajdrew said:
Couple of thoughts.  First is that in another post, you said you are horrible at germinating.  So not sure why you would think that the problem is this person's seeds when you have been clear that you have horrible luck with all seeds.  Now in so far as the stock photos, this person is very likely a reseller and does not produce the seeds himself.  When you consider the fact that the vast majority of the US economy has at least one reseller between the producer and the consumer I am not sure why you would think this is so alarming.  If you buy seeds at Walmart, the garden supply, or just about any retail outlet you are most likely not buying from the producer.

The links you provided are very reasonable prices for very common seed stock.  Chances are this person is buying large quantities, counting them out, and reselling them.  Essentially, they are charging for the service of repackaging.  So of course they are using stock photos.  I would not be surprised if the photos come from the place s/he is buying their seed.

Not sure why you think there is something wrong with that.  Could you elaborate?  Do you really think someone selling a pack of 300 cayenne seeds for a dollar is somehow ripping people off?  Even with shipping, that is better than the Walmart price.

After thought: Great prices, damn near 100% positive reviews, thousands of followers, doesnt seem to claim to produce the see himself, more than 700 different seeds... damn those are some good prices.

Well after I made the thread about me being awful at germinating seeds, Wicked Mike gave me several tips on how to germinate them, using those tips I was actually able to start germinating these seeds and they germinated (I got a 98% germination rate with my jalapeno seeds that I got from my own pods, so clearly I'm doing something correctly now). I didn't take into consideration the fact that this seller could be a reseller of the seeds. I actually just read a thread where a user here was explaining how to check if people are using other peoples pictures to sell seeds/pods, you replied to that thread and it sounded like you were irritated with a seller or something for using someone else's pictures. I took that into consideration and thought I would warn people about this seller since, you, being so popular on this forum, were mad at someone for not using their own pictures. I don't think someone charging a dollar for a pack of seeds is considered a rip off, like I said I wasn't saying the seller is bad at what he/she does it only sounded a little sketchy to me that someone can sell seeds and not have pictures of their own peppers. As you said in the other thread about people stealing pictures, what if that person stole pictures of pepper seeds that he/she was reselling? Why would you get mad at that seller back then and get mad at me for calling out what might be the same thing going on but with a different seller? I don't quite understand why you are being so hostile with this topic but, I apologize if I did something wrong. After all, I am pretty new here so I don't know every single rule to this forum but if this is in any way offensive to anyone, feel free to have a mod delete or close the thread.

Rereading your post on that other thread I see that it was actually a picture of your ducks that someone was using. Why would you get mad over that? Maybe that person was a reseller of ducks?

:rofl: 

Look, the stolen duck pics is a very serious matter and the Federal Waterfowl Agency is investigating the matter. Last I heard, they are still waiting on DNA analysis.  Which according to court documents Drew refuses to submit his duck for DNA testing.

As far as stolen pepper pics??? What do you think this is?? Some kind of pepper forum or sumthing?

This is a Duck Forum! Try to keep it on Topic.

Oh, and welcome to The Top Ducker   :party:

hogleg said:

Look, the stolen duck pics is a very serious matter and the Federal Waterfowl Agency is investigating the matter. Last I heard, they are still waiting on DNA analysis.  Which according to court documents Drew refuses to submit his duck for DNA testing.

As far as stolen pepper pics??? What do you think this is?? Some kind of pepper forum or sumthing?

I'm not frustrated anymore because of you, thanks for making my night.

hogleg said:

You Quack me up! :rofl:

hogleg said:

This thread reads like a warning not to shop at Walmart because they do not grow their own tomato.  Of course there are discount / bulk sort of folk who buy, repackage, and sell things. Hell, Pepper Joe and Puckerbutt both do the buy sell thing.  Why trash on some guy trying to make a buck on ebay?

And now for reality

BackyardPepper said: "So I bought seeds from this seller a couple weeks ago. I'm getting a 50% to 60% germination rate with some of the seeds, some of the hotter varieties don't germinate at all."

So he ordered them two weeks earlier, probably got them a week later.  So after a week, more than half of them have sprouted and he is complaining.  All I can figure is guy has no clue how long pepper seeds can take to sprout.  If I had fifty percent after a week, I would not be joining forums to trash the seller.  I would be too busy thanking the pepper gods.

So then he gets advice from Wicked Mike about a week ago.  He knows those seeds were bunk because with Wicked Mike's advice he is now getting damn near 100% germination after a week.  Now Wicked Mike is one smart cookie, but I am thinking that if he can manage near 100% germination after a week it is more than advice that he provided.  He done sent the guy the magic pepper fairy grow dust or something.

So what am I getting at?  As I recall, the whole photo search thread was started by someone who joined THP and went about trashing a merchant rather promptly.  Now here is another new member rather promptly trashing a merchant, even using the same criteria.  Only this time, the new member is giving other reasons for trashing the guy.  Reasons which would make no sense to anyone who has spent any time growing peppers.

Some didn't sprout at all after a week?  Uh ye,some varieties can take over a month.
60% after a week is excellent
Damn near 100% after a week, now that is black magic.

howardsnm1 said:
i can buy all of those locally in the grocery store..
you paid too much with the shipping
It costs me more in gas to go to the grocery store than this guy is charging for shipping.  Also, have never seen packs of 300 pepper seeds retail for a buck.  But my biggest thought is I would much rather spend money with a guy trying to earn a buck honestly than corporate American category killing mega stores.

I just figure we should give the little guy a chance, that way maybe we will ourselves have a chance.

Hogleg, why not tell the rest of the story.  The dna testing you are demanding is the invasive type.  What you are not sharing is your association with ET and the whole anal probing thing.  That is so very ducked up man.

Seriously, I think the guy missed that I was fucking around when I said someone stole a picture of my duck to get himself laid.  Who the hell cares?

Well I am new to pepper growing so I had no idea that some seeds take longer than others I apologize for somehow offending you with this thread. I never said that the seller was a bad seller, I never said that he/she has bad prices or is ripping people off, I just stated that when buying peppers from people you gotta make sure that the pictures are his (because this is what I have read on a lot of thread on this forum and it seemed like the right thing to do). I only used this sellers listings as an example, and since I am so new to growing peppers I am more likely to get spooked if something doesn't go the way so many other people on this forum have said that they should. I'm sorry for being so quick to "jump the gun" but like I have said I am new to this so I don't know what is okay for sellers to do and not do. Clearly us two do not get along so how about we just end the argument here? Mods can close the thread, I can edit and delete my "offending" post and we can walk away quietly without starting anymore trouble. I would like to have as many friends on here as possible so I will think twice, maybe even 3 times, before running to this part of the forum and bashing on a seller. Again, I am sorry for jumping the gun I didn't realize I am in the wrong in this situation.

ajdrew said:
Seriously, I think the guy missed that I was f**king around when I said someone stole a picture of my duck to get himself laid.  Who the hell cares?
Yeah that would be pretty weird imo...

Oh and by the way, there are a lot more routes that you could have taken to get your point across that are much more polite and much less hostile than the one you took.

Backyardpepper, here is the thing.  I am a silly hippie seed saving, seed saving, heirloom, Mother Earth News reading type.  I get it.  I get you.  I would much rather buy things from my neighbor than from Walmart.  But when you say that you should not buy seeds from someone who does not use pictures of the peppers he has grown himself, you are advising that nobody buy their jalapeno at the local grocery store, seed store, or other markets. 

Again, I dig it.  I get it.  I wish I could buy everything from the producer, cut out the middleman, make sure the produce is getting the margin.  I would love it if places like Walmart would just sort of dry up and crumble away because more people thought like you do.  I detest the buy sell thing where the middleman makes more money than the producer.  Although I am not a communist, I do prefer the view that the cost of a good is based on the labor to produce it.

But some guy on Ebay trying to resell goods at a lower rate than Walmart is better than Walmart itself.  In short, someone needs to cross a peter pepper with a super hot and use it to rape Walmart up the rear.  Wait, hippie peace love joy... I mean Walmart should become more aware of their local community and assist local commerce by closing its damn doors.

Happy, happy, joy joy.. ye, I am a non dope smoking hippie.. hence the attitude....

Almost forgot: Screw Monsanto and that chick running for president who works for them.

Shorerider said:
Trouble is, once you get your Giant Banana seeds, most people would promptly leave positive feedback. BUT, months later when those seeds grow in to a giant Apple tree instead, it's too late to do anything.

I'd be all like Giant Apple Tree... Cool.  Yep, I see that concern and that is why I would not purchase fine jewelry at Walmart.  But the person is not selling any specialty seed that I took note of.  Just bulk, mass market stuff like at Walmart.

Hogleg, no drug in this world makes me like Walmart and other huge retailers.

Cannabis is not a drug. Its a Hhherb. You have to refine it to make drugs out of it.

Only difference between Meds and Drugs, is Meds are Drugs they can't take away from you.

ajdrew said:

Hogleg, no drug in this world makes me like Walmart and other huge retailers.

Hoglet, so raw opium not a drug?  I am thinking even coffee is a drug.  I don't see anything innately wrong with self medicating, just not all that fond of cabanas.  It makes me wanna eat, watch TV, and nothing more.  Same with opiates, in fact I rather think they are the pain reliever of choice for hospitals cause they make patients complicit.

I think hospitals should offer those rolling bars like on airplanes.

Back