• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds 1st steps - Need help with germination

Hello all,

I live in Portugal and we are in winter now.
Right now, indoors, I am experiencing 11ºC (51,8 F), so I improvised a little greenhouse out of an old aquarium, with the help of a normal lamp to provide heating.
Something like this:
02012012023.jpg

Even when the lamp is turned ON I can't much temperature. That why I use a towel to cover the aquarium.
With the aquarium covered and the lamp ON, I can get a nice temperature of 26ºC (78.8F), however I find that the environment inside gets really wet - I think that there is no air circulation.

Is this a problem for germination?
Is it OK to have the lamp ON 24x7? Is the light a problem?

Am I doing this right?
... absolute first time... affff!

Thank you all!

^^^what he said. my personal experience has been all over the board! i just put a seed in soil in a solo cup use a pray bottle to keep the soil moist and keep in a spot that stay relatively warm and gets some sun and my seeds pop between 7-20 days, when i was using a heat mat in the dark they took MUCh longer 30=+ days. so experiment and find out what works best for you and run with it

I killed my first babies when I kept them covered without air---they damped out dead.

Open up the aquarium to air for a couple hours morning and night after they come up.

Mine are doing well now that I let them have air.

good luck

Back