2 month old sprouts?

I germinated them indoors kept them inside for a couple of months they got kinda leggy - I re potted them and have had the outside for a couple weeks now.. It just seems to me that they are taking way to long to take off shouldn't they be bigger now 2 months or so later?

1_zps606a556c.jpg
2_zps2b11705b.jpg
3_zps9c3f51df.jpg
4_zpsc64a0fb3.jpg

Please tell me that's just some wood chip you sprinkled on top? If it is then what is you watering and nutrition regime? Definitely looks like either an N deficiency or the weather is really cold where you are.

danish said:
Please tell me that's just some wood chip you sprinkled on top? If it is then what is you watering and nutrition regime? Definitely looks like either an N deficiency or the weather is really cold where you are.

The chips are in the Potting soil I used ...I water once the top soil starts to dry out and as far as a nutrition regime Today I just added a bit of Miracle Grow shake and feed.

I germinated them in peet pods wonder if that has something to do with it?

1a_zps06f38d29.jpg

Yes, they should be larger. Considerably larger at that, of course some of it is varietal dependant - but even my tepin is larger than all of yours after less than two months, and it is by far my slowest plant that germinated at the same time as the rest.

My first set are coming up on 2 months. Your plants may be permanently (or semi-permanently) stunted at this point.

Was there any composted added, or any kind of bacterial inoculant used? I've had good success with Fox Farm's Microbe Brew, but there are plenty of other good options. For seedlings I use Microbe Brew to innoculate, and then follow up with Fox Farm's Big Bloom (a weak earthworm casting and bat guano solution) which helps to keep them from stalling, and you don't have to worry so much about burning the plants.

2 months is LA?  Assuming they're getting decent light and warmth they should be much bigger.

Give them a little direct morning / evening sun if possible, and maybe another shot of diluted ferts.  If that doesn't kick them off,,,

FWLIW, I feed seedlings a weak mix of MG All Purpose blue crystals with good results.  About 1/2 teaspoon per gallon (1/6 the suggested dose) applied at each watering.  AKA 'Fertigation.'

If these plants don't take off, you might get some top-notch potting soil on your next try.  Just a small bag - enough to start the plants in small pots. FFOF worked great for me. (Don't apply extra ferts, OF is already plenty strong.)

I have found that too much bark fines stunts growth. This year I used a local "Garden Soil" that turned out to be largely bark. Although I amended the soil with the usual suspects, all the plants in that mix experienced slow/stunted growth. Fortunately, I only used it for a portion of my total potting. I recommend changing your soil and transferring the seedlings - can't hurt at this point.

FYI - Here's the crap I used which is chock full of shredded bark fines. Garden Soil, you say? I don't think so!  :mad: I would only recommend this stuff for a light mulching on top.

kellogg+garden+soil.jpg

Just my opinion here but supersoil really sucks. I like fox farm ocean forest.
Those are still babies, they don't look ready for outside yet. How cold does it get at night there?
Also, don't get too overboard on trying to force them to do something. 2 months is a long time but it just could be because you have old seeds. Wait for one of the guru's from cali to speak up. In the meantime, exercise a little patience. They may just be waiting for springtime to shoot up.

iv had some pretty bad issue with peat pellets though i do still use them.
I removed the netting from the pellet, and removed some of the excess peat and planted into soil.

Some of the plants did pretty much nothing, grew slightly then just stopped. Maybe 7 out of 10 of them.
I decided to see what was going on and took a few out of their pots with the intention of re-potting them.
What i found was the roots has not gone past the peat even though I had removed the netting. They had stayed small and weak and not moved from the peat into the rest of the potting medium.

Now, that potting medium I later found out was way too acidic so that may have had something to do with it.
But now I don't take any chances, I remove the netting and put the pellet under the tap to remove all the peat from the roots before planting into its pot..

If you put the pellet straight in there, try taking one out and see if the roots have passed through it properly.
I bet they havent.

nzchili said:
iv had some pretty bad issue with peat pellets though i do still use them.
I removed the netting from the pellet, and removed some of the excess peat and planted into soil.

Some of the plants did pretty much nothing, grew slightly then just stopped. Maybe 7 out of 10 of them.
I decided to see what was going on and took a few out of their pots with the intention of re-potting them.
What i found was the roots has not gone past the peat even though I had removed the netting. They had stayed small and weak and not moved from the peat into the rest of the potting medium.

Now, that potting medium I later found out was way too acidic so that may have had something to do with it.
But now I don't take any chances, I remove the netting and put the pellet under the tap to remove all the peat from the roots before planting into its pot..

If you put the pellet straight in there, try taking one out and see if the roots have passed through it properly.
I bet they havent.

Do you think I can still pull them and rinse the peat off and plant back into different soil?

Gargoyle91 said:

Do you think I can still pull them and rinse the peat off and plant back into different soil?
Yep, though IMO they will probably always be stunted.

I re-potted the majority of them, most never recovered properly and were thrown away as later seeds I started overtook them.

If your having the same issue I had, I would suggest washing the peat of those you can and re-potting them. But also start a new batch of seeds.  If the stunted plants have any chance of making it to fruit this season then so do some new seeds.

nzchili said:
Yep, though IMO they will probably always be stunted.

I re-potted the majority of them, most never recovered properly and were thrown away as later seeds I started overtook them.

If your having the same issue I had, I would suggest washing the peat of those you can and re-potting them. But also start a new batch of seeds.  If the stunted plants have any chance of making it to fruit this season then so do some new seeds.

So exposing the root to air will not hurt the plant?  I've all ways been told never let the roots hit air--(Not on peppers just in general) If I can get away with it i would like to get rid of the peat around the root and replace about 6 inches of the apparent crap soil I used with some MG soil I just bought.

Also got some MG crystals for veggies but it's red not blue but says its good for all veggies.

Man I want to save these worked way to long and hard on these plants doing it the Horticulture way. I have better luck just putting the damn seeds in the ground! 

Gargoyle91 said:

So exposing the root to air will not hurt the plant?  I've all ways been told never let the roots hit air--(Not on peppers just in general) If I can get away with it i would like to get rid of the peat around the root and replace about 6 inches of the apparent crap soil I used with some MG soil I just bought.

Also got some MG crystals for veggies but it's red not blue but says its good for all veggies.

Man I want to save these worked way to long and hard on these plants doing it the Horticulture way. I have better luck just putting the damn seeds in the ground! 

I dunno, i would not want to leave it out of the soil for a long period of time - but it works for me.
I just finished transferring a few plants from pellets to pots. This is what it looks like after iv put it under the tap - ready for transplanting
babyprimo_zps66ecd07f.jpg

The problem is they lack the energy to invest in new roots for more N to make more energy.
The roots can survive up to an hour in the air, though the longer they are exposed the more they die off.
Probably not a great idea but I would put them in new soil and add a little rooting hormone. Maybe add some highly diluted N depending on the soil values. Might be better just to get new seed.

Another vote for too much wood or bark that's leeching away nitrogen.  You could probably just keep hitting them with liquid fertilizer until the moisture in the soil has a chance to get a good bacterial colony started to decompose some of it.

I also second the notion that they were too small to go outside.  If a leaf starts in strong sunlight it will acclimate to that but if you only have a few tiny leaves already started, they can't cope with it and that stunts the plant.

Back