• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting 2 New Hot Sauce Ferments

1st---
Used mix of dried peppers (unknown) given as gift from THP member catherinew.
5 fresh Red Bhuts (pepperlover)
2 packs frozen raspberries
1 pack frozen strawberries

Bring 2 quarts water to boil, remove from heat and add dried peppers, (de-stemed/seeded) and 6 Tbls sea salt. Steep dried peppers until water has cooled to room temp. Added fresh peppers and fruit. Topped with a little brine (about a Tbls) from fermented saurkraut.

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

4a.jpg

2nd---
Mix of yellows, mostly fatalli's (fresh and dried) with a handful of yellow bullet habs. Diced, added to jar with 1 can peaches, 1 jar apricots in heavy syrup (drained). diced 3/4 of an onion and two carrots. All added to 2 qts RO water and 6 Tbls sea salt. Found this to be to much water so poured some off. Topped again with about a Tbls of saurkraut brine. 

1b.jpg

2b.jpg

20140813_193258.jpg

KingChile said:
u know the sauces would taste A LOT better if u use fresh ingredients thats just my opinion thou im an ex chef and always felt fresh tasted TONS better
Probably right but just using what i had on hand.

hoibot said:
those look good and interesting! looking forward to how they turn out.
Me too, have been wanting to try the red one for quite some time.

DownRiver said:
Love the red color. Taste should be interesting. How long do you plan to ferment/age?
Probably a month or so

Looks good.

I am no expert but I don't think the fresh vs frozen in the fruit will matter since it is a fermented sauce. The sugars will be used by the bacteria. If they were added on the end then yes I would agree there is a difference or if it was a non fermented sauce.

Back