2 New Pepper Types On The Roster

This season I am adding Thai peppers and Serranno chilies to my grow list. The tags say they are both "very hot".
Has anyone grown these types? How hot are they, really?

I've never had Thai that I'm aware of, but I do know that Serrano's are hotter than Jalapeno's but significantly milder than Habanero's. They also have good flavor.

Hope that helps.

Orange Thais have pretty good heat comparatively to other annuums but not anywhere near the heat of habs and other chinense...I grew them last year and loved their flavor and heat....enough to have 8 plants of them growing this year...

Serranos are a good medium heat pepper that are about 5 or 6 times hotter than a Jalapeno and they are about 30K on the Scoville scale...they have a great taste and are used for pico di gallo and other salsas for dipping chips in...I have about 10 of these plants growing...serranos and orange thais are both very good producers...

My take on it:

I am growing orange thais and some of them have rivaled my orange habaneros. Taste is completely different, though. Not as fruity and I dare say more sour and earthy (whatever that means... that's what happens when you cup coffees for a living)

For the serranos... not really what I would call hot. Certainly hotter than jalapeños but nowhere near habaneros. Exceptions may occur from time to time. Flavorwise they are OK and very similar to jalapeños but a little smokier, especially when fully ripe.

I've never grown serranos, but I do like them more than jalapenos.
I've grown a couple different thai varieties & some can be really hot, not like a hab, bhut or 7pot, but pugnent (sp?) & IMO prolific & very hardy simple to grow vs chinense (well at least for my conditions, thais do better than any other type of chiles)
this year I'm growing
thais -red,yellow,orange,dragon,hot

imaguitargod said:
*Pffffft*, wimps. hehehe
Thai has a really good bite to them. Serrranos are just medium.

I don't know where you get serranos, but in the Oaxaca, Mexico I have had serranos that will lock your ankles up.

willard3 said:
I don't know where you get serranos, but in the Oaxaca, Mexico I have had serranos that will lock your ankles up.

I've grown em myself and stressed the hell out of them too....never got to my level of heat.

I've got to say, I'm having daja vu. Have you and me had this same converstion before, Willard? That feeling so weird when you have it (and I have it alot).

Back