2010 heat

This year am trying some new varieties, besides the scotch bonnets, and various annuum which I kept from previous years, and I was wondering if you guys can tell me more about these chiles: taste, use, what to watch out for, etc.
I seeded the following varieties:
Aji norteño, Goats weed, Capsicum eximium, Tabasco, Xigole, Bhut Jolokia, Pimenta cambuçi, Biquinho, Manzano,Dedo de Moca, Long chocolate habonero, Pimenta Cumari, Rocopica

For the eximium, I am not sure about the type. In the internet I find eximium with berry shaped pods and eximium with an elongated pod. Anyone know what the difference is?

Hope to be posting pictures soon.

I can only comment on 2 out of your list and possibly 3....

Tabasco: I love this pepper and it is very versatile. It has a nice bite to it and if picked in it's prime, the juice from it will at first taste sweet briefly before the heat kicks in. As for the heat, I have never found them as hot as a Hab. If you think a Hab is a 10 on a 1-10 heat scale, this is probably going to be more like an 8.

Bhut Jolokia: I grew this pepper for the first time last year and after reading all of the hype, I was very apprehensive about it's flavor and where it would fall in my pepper usage. Well, it was love at first bite! It has a very sweet fruity taste, that is before the heat knocks you back. This pepper is definitely best used in moderation because it can completely over-power anything it is placed in. Again if you think a Hab is a 10 on the scale for heat...this pepper will be somewhere around 100.

Long Chocolate Hab: I have never heard of this pepper, although I have grown regular Chocolate Habs before and they are just great. They have the typical hab flavor but a bit of a smokiness to them as well. I also found these peppers to be somewhat hotter than an average Orange Hab. If you like Habs you'll really like the Chocolate Hab.

Thanks for the info Pepperfreak. I have, like you say, up to now also taken some distance of the BJ, but after reading comments from the many BJ lovers, I have to give it a try.
I am really curious about the Tobasco. For me, Tobasco sauce is a big acidy joke, and for that reason I always thought that the heat would be low. We'll find out what it gives.
I am a true sctoch bonnet lover, so am sure that the long chok. will fit. It is difficult to find info about the long chocolate, but I assume it must be a cross.

well pepperfreak got you covered on bhut jolokia, so the only one i can tell you about is manzano. i tried it for the first time on my last trip to mexico back in october. i think that the heat is very close to your average orange habanero. it was definitely enough to get my foot tappin and my face sweatin. the flavor is awesome, very sweet, somewhat like the flavor of an anaheim pepper, but with, oddly enough, something of an apple flavor to it. i dont know that thats the best way to describe it but its definitely a fruity taste, but not like a tropical fruity like habanero is. the only problem with manzano is figuring out what to do with it. they are very thick, heavy, and blocky, thicker even than a bell pepper. so even though the assam varieties are a lot hotter, i think that just because of the meatiness of a manzano it would be a lot harder to get through. i really doubt that anyone can get through a whole one in one sitting. ive had them green and yellowish-orange, and they taste a lot better with the yellowish orange than they do as a green pepper.

From what I remember the chocolate long has a typical brown chinense flavor but unique shape and very hot. The biquino has a great mild fruity flavor but they are so full of seeds that I get tired of them quickly. Tobasco has never been my favorite but they are much better tasting than the sauce IMO, and they are quite hot and very productive. Most manzanos are quite hot and fruity and make good poppers but I never have much success growing the stubborn guys. What type/color manzano are you growing?

Hey guys, thanks for the info.
If I remember right, manzano means apple, but I did not expect them to be that big. Maybe good for salsa, or ... stuffed with some ground beef with cheddar? I'll have to do some experimenting. The version I have is the yellow/orange one. If the manzano gets that big, then I assume that also the plant must be nice size.

Interesting Potawie. I guess I need to get some extra potassium ... My NPK 6.6.6 won't do it. I might try my tomato fertilizer again. Is 12.4.15, but gives too much green, not enough roots.

Back