• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2011 Grow: Strain Tips

I live in North Carolina and have grown peppers for the past 3 or so years. I've noticed that some strains can be more finicky than others. This year my entire grow list is new to me so I've no idea what to expect. Would appreciate info on the following strains. Specific things I'm looking for are which do well in direct sunlight and if any of these do poorly in pots. My ground space is limited to about 3 plants, so all others will be in pots.

Scotch bonnets - If specific types would help, I've got Peppermania's Foodarama and Jamaican strains
Limon
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion (red)
Fatalii

This is my main 2011 line up. Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

Honestly, those look like they shouldnt be any problem at all. Ive grown those, and the only problem I have had with ANY plant is with Rocoto. Those require less sunlight. At least for ME they did. I think my plants get a good 10 hours of sunlight a day.
Its actually a GOOD thing if you can only grow in pots. (Except for the 3 plants.) That way you can move them if they dont do well where they're at.

Wusup HP! You would know better most about our hot dry summer sun. So none of your Hab type plants ever had any issues with serious time in it? I don't know if you remember me mentioning that I lost 4 plants due to exposure totalling about one 8 hour work day. Only a few survived that ordeal. I'm apprehensive about leaving any of these fellas out because of that. Ruined my Scotch Bonnet plans for the entire year.

How big of pots do you use by the way. I've gotten pretty good results with pots that seem rather tiny compared some I've seen on THP. Wondering what your using.

I use 5 gallon Lowe's buckets with holes drilled in the bottom. I have a video on YouTube with some of my plants from last year. Channel is xMrPopeyex. I also make my own soil, so I can control things a bit more.
As far as sun exposure goes, dont forget I am on the complete opposite side of the state. Not to mention Im at a different altitude. Humidity and temps are different.
Thats kinda what I was talking about when I said that growing in pots might work for you a little better. If you see that your plants arent handling where they are at, you can easily move them. I had to move mine around until I found the perfect spot for them. The year before last, I didnt have them in ENOUGH light, so my plants didnt get very big at all.
Also, with sun, and growing in pots, you REALLY need to pay attention to the moisture in the soil. I had times where I didnt need to water but once a week. But then, on the other hand, I had times where I had to water every day, or every other day.
If you need any advice/help on growing in buckets, I can give ya a hand. Or hell, there are TONS of people on here that grow in containers, so there's LOTS of help for ya!

Back