• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2013 glog and dense germination

I am finally getting an early jump on my peppers. Up until this year its been mainly jalapenos and a bell type sweet. Here is what I'm starting with.

_MG_6984_zps27861ad0.jpg

The rocoto pack says mixed because I am illiterate and thought I was combining red with red when I really combined red with orange. So now I have one mixed pack and one each still separate.

I grow these for myself but the wife and I also sell at the local farmers market. I have to start a lot more plants than I need for myself and there is a lack of germination space. I didnt invent this method but if you look at how they come up when a pod or tomato drops this is kinda what it looks like. That leads me to this...

_MG_6991_zps28f5419d.jpg

As you can see the cells have duct tape on them and are labeled. For the middle cell I divide one cell in half and the top becomes the middle, the bottom is the cell the tape is on.

Now I dump the seeds in.

_MG_6992_zps8caa854b.jpg

And the cover them up and water.
_MG_6993_zps8d81de7a.jpg

Plastic wrap the top...
_MG_6994_zps7730e97f.jpg

And wait for this...these are jalapenoes I germinated a couple weeks ago.
_MG_6989_zpsfe112cd6.jpg

Now I have to get to seaparating them into solo cups. The separation usually only takes maybe 2 min per cell, filling cups while holding a seedling takes a little bit longer. Damp off is almost never an issue. I didnt soak the seeds I just planted nor the jalapenoes. The jalapenoes were like a 25 cent pack from Dollar General at the end of last year. I think I've maybe lost 5 seedlings in the 5 years I've been germinating this way. Usually I will count out seeds per cell and do 10,20, or 30. The jalapenoes I divided a whole pack by sight. The newer ones I just planted I didnt count at all, but I'd guess most of them are at or below 20 seeds with a few of them maybe near 30 which for me is just about perfect.

These are orange habaneros I started last fall maybe. When I brought them inside as seedlings they did ok for a while and then aphids showed up or multiplied enough to be a problem and reduced these to stems with no leaves. They just started making a comeback the last month or so and I repotted them yesterday.

_MG_6987_zps73095ab0.jpg

Everything is in a 10x10 greenhouse built on the deck off the 2nd floor with pvc, 4 mil plastic and duct tape :) It stays warm enough with a small heater if the outside doesnt get below 20F. Then I end up moving everything inside.

Just potted up 44 jalapeno seedlings from one cell in the picture above. Some runts and a helmet head got left behind. All in all maybe about 50 seeds in that cell germed. Theyre now under lights in the greenhouse. Pictures tomorrow maybe. Also I think the hydrofarm heating mat I ordered from Stokes does not work. Its the one tray size. Doesnt feel warm at all and its been a couple hours at least. Any ideas?

I like the way you germinate..lol I never thought of doing that. Might try it out.

As for the heating mat, it should be warm within 5-10 mins I'd say. Did you take a thermometer to it and see what temp it's at?

I like the way you germinate..lol I never thought of doing that. Might try it out.

As for the heating mat, it should be warm within 5-10 mins I'd say. Did you take a thermometer to it and see what temp it's at?

Its at room temp using my hands. It feels cold actually. So mad. I waited to plant pepper seeds that got here days before until the heating mat got here.

Well six days since I planted the seeds. I realize I only posted a picture of some of the seeds so heres the list...

Orange Habanero
jalapeno
cubanelle
wild brazil*
"most prolific"*
red rocoto*
orange rocoto*
bhut jolokia red*
sofia sweet*
datil*
choc habanero*
poblano*
aji limon*
serrano
red bell
orange bell
hungarian hot wax
bradleys bahamian*

Everything with an asterisk came from Judy at pepperlover.

Here is the cell of Datils just sprouting.
_MG_6997_zpsc3917101.jpg

Also I just noticed some aji limon's barely peeking out.

Some of the 40 or so jalapenos I potted up I think the same day as I planted the others, maybe the day after.

_MG_6998_zps848f5448.jpg

Didnt see the need in getting them all. They all look about the same. Most have the one bigger true leaf, weird.

Nice crop man! Like your germination method. Simple and efficient. Those are some healthy looking sprouts too. Good luck this year!

Spotted this last night. Red Bhut Jolokia.

bhut_zpsce65ea3d.jpg

Another pic of the Datils
datil_zps1bdac931.jpg

Jalapenos seem to be growing faster now, still havent fertilized them.

jalapeno_zps73817102.jpg

Sungold tomotoes on the left, Matts Wild Cherry tomatoes just sprouting to their right.
sunampmatts_zps6b101c0f.jpg

Seem to have forgotten the Aji Limons again. Theyre just a hair behind the Datils in growth but just about as numerous.

Seems like you got your method down. I hate separating seedlings myself so I keep it at one cup per seed. Best of luck to you.

The purple tinge is a 115w LED light I built. I used 4 blues, 4 625nm orange (they sell as red), 4 720nm or so infrareds, and the remainder (13) are 660nm deep reds. Theyre all 5w LEDEngins. I call 625nm orange because next to the 660s thats how they look. Peppers seem to enjoy the light the most. They get a deep green under it. Peppers Ive grown in the sun usually dont get as dark. The only other 2 lights in this area (18"x48") are 2 42w CFLs by ProLume.

Seems like you got your method down. I hate separating seedlings myself so I keep it at one cup per seed. Best of luck to you.

I hate wasting dirt and space! Besides a little rolling of the dirt and they almost separate themselves. :) Thanks.

looking good! pictures are very nice,you camera dudes piss me off :rofl:

sowing more than one seed in a cell is insane that also pisses me off every time i see dudes with 34 plants in a cell it makes me mad. i cant separate 2 plants let alone a dozen :rofl:

Nice progress so far. I will be in Warren on saturday. I live just north of Pitts but I am in Franklin every weekend. Good luck with your season! Not much else to do up where you are at.

Took about 1.5 hours to separate and plant up 25 cubanelles and 15 more jalapenoes. Someone throw me a beer.

Back