• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2014 - The Year of the Red Capsicum pubescens Takeover

This will be my first year in very long time growing hot peppers & the main ones will be Red Manzanos & Red Rocotos with a few Biggie Chile Hybrid & Maule's Red Hot (Cayenne type) thrown in the mix.

So far I have these above soil and growing...

1 Biggie Chile Hybrid
2 Red Rocoto

Not above soil but germinated...
7 Red Manzano germinated and placed in pots (red beer cups)

Germinating in paper towel & ziplock baggie
12 Red Rocoto

I may also grow some brown morugas from thepepperlover.com

Any questions just ask

More pics to come soon

I don't know if I like them or not, but I'm sure trying to grow a bunch this year.  Just potted up 18 Orange Locoto seedlings to 3.5" square pots today.

A few pics...

Biggie Chile Hybrid

Red Rocoto 1

Red Rocoto 2

PIC 1 said:
Have fun with the Rocoto/Manzano grow..........they're both juicy and tasty peppers. 

Thanks man , I think it will be fun growing them. I'm hopeing I get some nice sized ones this season for hot stuffed peppers.

Nigel said:
I love Manzanos/Rocotos, so good luck with those. I`m growing a couple of pubescens varieties, too!

Thanks Nigel, which ones are you growing?

Sawyer said:
I don't know if I like them or not, but I'm sure trying to grow a bunch this year.  Just potted up 18 Orange Locoto seedlings to 3.5" square pots today.

lol Same here, I seen them for the first time last year & said to myself, "Nick, you need to grow these". Good luck with yours Sawyer.

My list of pubescens varieties for this year. I also have 3 plants from last year of a medium-sized Orange Manzano from Mexico.

Red Manzano, Mexico (Northgate Market) – 55g 
Small Orange Manzano, Guatemala (Northgate Market) - 25g 
Small yellow Manzano (Pepperproblem`s freezer) – GA3 treated and sowed 50 seeds.
Red Rocoto, Peru (from Lima, different to the one below) 
Red Rocoto, medium size, Peru (market on the Inca Trail) 
Red Rocoto, Bolivia (from the Tarija region) 
Red Rocoto (Cusco, Peru)
Brown Rocoto 
Rocoto San Isidro 
Mini Rocoto - PI 387838 
Rocoto CAP 217 
Rocoto PI355812 
Rocoto CAP 867 red
Rocoto PI585273 
Rocoto Costa Rican Red 
Small Red Manzano (Mexico)
As I said, I really like Rocotos/Manzanos .......  :P

Back